CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1118126

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118126 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 21:30:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Earley

National Grid Reference: SU 74534 72154

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EARLEY CHURCH ROAD (east side) SU 77W 4/1 Church of St. Peter

26.1.67 II

Parish Church. c1844 by J. Turner in Early English style, aisles and chancel added 1882-3. Grey vitreous brick with stone dressings, slate gabled and coped roofs. Nave, north and south aisles, chancel, north transept with organ chamber and vestry, south transept with Lady Chapel, embraced north west tower, south west porch, diagonal buttresses to east wall of nave. Brick plinth with stone capping, moulded stone string course under windows and carried up over porch as a hoodmould. 3 gabled dormers with 2-light trefoiled windows on each side of nave forming clerestoreys; 2-light plate traceried windows in aisles, 3-light geometrical tracery on east window to chancel and west windows to nave and south aisle. Tower:- 3 stages, moulded stone string at each stage, angled buttresses reaching second stage; moulded stone cornice, balustraded parapet, crocketted pinnacles at each corner; clock on 4 faces. Bulls eye window in second stage, single light pointed arched openings with louvres in third stage. Entrance doors under 2-centred arch with shafted jambs with moulded base and leaf heads. Interior:-5-bay nave with plain thin arch braced collar roof. North and south arcades with 2-centred arches, plain columns with moulded heads and capitals with a crocket in each corner. Carved stone reredos; frescoes by I. Pace (1905) stone pulpit with cable and diaper mouldings, fleuron and dogtooth ornament, and carved effigys of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Carved stone font of bowl and stem. Stained glass in east chancel window and west windows to nave and aisle. VCH Vol.III p.222. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.202.

Listing NGR: SU7453472154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41434

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 222
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 202

End of official listing