This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARSH COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARSH COURT

List entry Number: 1118864

Location

MARSH COURT, NEW LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Caundle Marsh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 104801

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 61 SE CAUNDLE MARSH NEW LANE

2/78 27-8-76 Marsh Court GV II

Country house, core probably of 1731 with extensive remodelling and wings of 1910. 1910 work by Macpherson and Richardson. Neo-Georgian, somewhat in the style of Macartney. Coursed rubble walls, with rusticated ashlar quoins and ashlar dressings. Stone slated hipped roof with end and central stone stacks. 2 storeys and attic, 9 bays, 2:5:2. C2O sashes with glazing bars in ashlar architraves. Central bay bears a centrepiece which may be original. This consists of a door with ashlar architrave and pedimental hood on carved brackets above which is an ashlar panel containing 2 arched lights and flanked by carved side scrolls. To the rear are 2 stone mullioned windows, possibly of the C17, reset. The central stack bears an inscription DGM 1731. Internally there is a wide staircase of 1910 with twisted balusters. RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p 56, no 8. Newman J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, pp 132-3.

Listing NGR: ST6768013823

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset III Central, (1970), 56
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 132-133

National Grid Reference: ST 67680 13823

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118864 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 02:39:53.

End of official listing