CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1118887
Date first listed:
31-Jul-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CAUNDLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118887 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 06:22:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CAUNDLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Bishop's Caundle
National Grid Reference:
ST 69618 13157

Details

ST 61 SE BISHOP'S CAUNDLE CAUNDLE STREET (SOUTH SIDE)

2/35 31-7-61 Church of St Peter and St Paul

GV I

Parish church, parts of chancel arch and parts of nave wall and south aisle C14; tower and parts of nave and south aisle C15; chancel, south porch, parts of nave and general restoration 1863-4. C19 work by W. Slater. Coursed rubble walls with ashlar dressings. Nave roof is tiled with stone slate verges and gable ends. South aisle, chancel and north porch are stone slated. Stone copings. Plan: chancel, nave, west tower, south aisle and north porch. Tower; 3 stages separated by string courses; embattled parapet with crocketted finials; diagonal buttresses; north vice turret, rectangular in section below and octagonal above lit by rectangular loops; west door with 2-centred, moulded head and continuous jambs; west window of 3-lights with panel tracery under a 2-centred head the label being continuous with the string course; 2nd stage has a small north 2-light window under a 2-centred head; 3rd stage has 2-centred, 2-light mullioned and transomed windows with the lower parts of each light filled with pierced stone panels; parapet string bears gargoyles. Nave windows are of 3-lights with panel tracery under 2-centred heads, that to the east being C15 reset. South aisle windows of 3-lights with panel tracery under segmental pointed heads with returned labels. The east window of the south aisle is of C14 and has 2 lights with a quatrefoil under a 2-centre head with a returned label. Chancel windows are under 2-centred heads and have Y-tracery and returned labels, that to the east being of 3-lights and the other being of two. The porch has a moulded 2-centred arch partly continuous with the jambs. The north door has a 2-centred, moulded head with continuous jambs. Internal features: 2-centred chancel arch of 2 straight chamfered orders; nave arcade of 3 2-centred arches of 2 straight chamfered orders with small inserted arch to east; 2-centred, mulded truer arch with blind trefoiled tracery to the archivolt; piscinae in chancel and aisle; rebated, 2-centred rood vice door; roofs are barrel vaults with carved bosses; C15 octagonal font with quatrefoils bearing shields and roses on octagonal pier with trefoiled panels; various C18 and Cl9 monuments including large tablet to D'Aubenys and Herberts by King of Bath; C19 stone pulpit and reredos probably by Forsyth; other fittings largely C19. RCHM Dorset, vol III, pp 13-15, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin 1975, pp 94-5. Pitfield, F P Dorset Parish Churches A-D, Dorset Publishing Company, 1981, pp 68-71 Brocklebank, J Victorian Stone Carvers in Dorset Churches 1856 - 1880, Dovecote, 1979, p 3B.

Listing NGR: ST6961813155

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
104759
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset III Central, (1970), 13-15
Brocklebank, J , Victorian Stone Carvers in Dorset Churches 1856-1880, (1979), 38
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 94-95
Pitfield, FP , Dorset Parish Churches, (1981), 68-71

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10501/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Kingsland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].