PARISH CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1118915

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118915 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 11:40:14.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Alton Pancras

National Grid Reference: ST 69880 02403

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 60 SE ALTON PANCRAS VILLAGE STREET (WEST SIDE)

8/11 26-1-56 Parish Church of St Pancras

GV II*

Parish Church,tower C15, chancel 1874, nave 1875. Chancel by Ewan Christian, nave by G R Crickmay. Banded, squared rubble and flint. Tiled, gable-ended roofs with stone copings. Plan: chancel, nave, west tower, north porch and north vestry. Tower and nave in 'Perpendicular' style, chancel in 'Early English' style. Unbuttressed, 2-stage tower with embattled ashlar parapet and corner crocketted finials. West door has 2-centred, moulded arch with continuous jambs and stopped label. Above is 3-light window with stopped label. Uppers stage of tower has, to the north face, a rectangular window with 2 lancets with pierced stone panels and to each of the remaining faces a square 2-light window with pierced stone panels. Nave has 3-light square headed windows with returned labels. Chancel east wall has 3 graduated lancets with a continuous stopped label. The north and south chancel walls have lancets, the south wall also having a 2-light window with quatrefoil under a 2-centred head. The vestry has a chamfered east doorway and 4 lancets north. Gabled, tiled porch with loops east and west. It has a 2-centred, moulded doorway with continuous jambs and a label with carved stops. The north door has a 'Tudor' arch springing from capitals and chamfered jambs. Over is some reset chevron ornament probably of the C19. Internal Features: 2-centred tower arch with casement moulding and continuous jambs. Quatrefoil above. 2-centred, moulded chancel arch, the outer orders of which are continuous with the jambs and the inner order of which springs from a shaft. East chancel window has shafted rere-arches. Roofs: chancel has wagon roof springing from wall-plate and nave has scissor trusses sprining from carved corbels. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels on octagonal pier with 2 tiers of blind round arches. C19 wall tablets. C19 and C20 glass. Pews, pulpit and other fittings C19. RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p 1, no 1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 75. Pitfield, F P, Dorset Parish Churches A-D, D.P.C., 1981, pp 30-32.

Listing NGR: ST6988002403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104730

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset III Central, (1970), 1
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 75
Pitfield, FP , Dorset Parish Churches, (1981), 30-32

End of official listing