This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1118996



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bridport

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Sep-1975

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 104506

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 5191 EAST STREET (North Side)

No 9 (formerly listed as No 11) SY 4692 1/60 28.11.50.


2. C16/17. Altered in early C19. Stucco. 2 storeys. Ground floor has double-bowed shop front with glazing bars, reeded pilasters, door jambs and transom, and a continuous fascia with an arcaded pattern. Double doors with Gothick glazing bars. 1st floor has 2 segmental bows with sashes with Gothick glazing bars. Parapet with raised centre, and very elaborate foliated scrolls at the sides supporting moulded posts with elaborate finials. Interior. Ground floor has ceiling beams with convex moulding. 2 posts, 1 with stopped chamfers, both with applied Ionic capitals. 3 bay arcade against rear wall with pointed arches on thin colonnettes and blue and gold painted glass in spandrels. 1st floor room has C16/17 fireplace with moulded surround (1 convex and 1 concave chamfer, stopped) and no mantel shelf. Simple Regency staircase. Dispensary at rear has early Cl9 sash with marginal glazing bars; door and window reveals panelled with raised moulding. In the house is preserved a C17 or C18 pottery finial in form of a horse and rider, which used to be on the roof, and dates from the time when the house was probably the George Inn. (Similar ones found at Totnes, Plympton, Looe, Plymouth and Polperro). Charles II stayed at the George as a fugitive on September 23rd 1651, And was disguised as an ostler to evade capture. The present firm was established in 1788 by Dr Roberts, who made it widely celebrated by the manufacture of his patent medicine.

Nos 9 to 15 (odd) form a group.

Listing NGR: SY4661892951

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 46616 92948


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1118996 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:50:22.

End of official listing