THE STABLES, 300 METRES WEST-SOUTH-WEST OF SHERBORNE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119381

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: THE STABLES, 300 METRES WEST-SOUTH-WEST OF SHERBORNE CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE STABLES, 300 METRES WEST-SOUTH-WEST OF SHERBORNE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119381 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 05:43:10.

Location

Statutory Address: THE STABLES, 300 METRES WEST-SOUTH-WEST OF SHERBORNE CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Castleton

National Grid Reference: ST 64630 16341

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLETON ST 6416 SHERBORNE PARK 12/32 The Stables, 300 metres 7.11.51 west-south-west of Sherborne Castle

GV II* Stables. Dated 1759 (north range, and 15 metres return of the side ranges). Side ranges extended to south in early C19. Walls to courtyard are of Ham Hill ashlar, the others are of coursed stone with ashlar quoins. Slate roofs. The stone stacks on west range. 3 stone stacks on east range. Buildings round 3 sides of a square, fourth being bounded by dwarf walls with wrought-iron railings and a central gateway with wrought iron piers crowned with ostriches. Two storeys. 9 bays on north; east and west sides (as when extended). North range: window-door-window-window-door-window-window-door-window. Two light stone mullioned-and-transomed windows with cornice-labels to the ground floor. Two-light stone-mullioned windows to the first floor. Original leaded lights. Central doorway has a moulded architrave, containing two stone-mullioned lights over the door, and pedimented over. C19 recess-panelled doors. Other doorways of similar design, without the pediment. Clock over central doorway. Continuous arcading carried over the openings in the side range. End gables to south have 2-light mullion-and-transom window, pedimented, with a 2-light mullion window over, and a roundel in the gable. Interior: original staircase with continuous string, turned balusters and moulded handrail. The stable fittings have cast-iron columns supporting semi-circular arcading with roundels in the soffits containing ostriches. (RCHM Dorset I, p.69(5)).

Listing NGR: ST6463016341

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105575

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 69

End of official listing