125, OLD CHURCH STREET SW3

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119672

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1998

Statutory Address: 125, OLD CHURCH STREET SW3

Map

Ordnance survey map of 125, OLD CHURCH STREET SW3
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 00:36:49.

Location

Statutory Address: 125, OLD CHURCH STREET SW3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Kensington and Chelsea (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26851 78070

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3281 SW OLD CHURCH STREET, SW3

249/55/10076 No.125

II

House with artist's studio, originally two houses. Circa 1804, originally two houses, amalgamated and altered in 1909 by William and Evelyn De Morgan. Stuccoed with roof concealed by parapet but central stock brick chimneystack visible. Three storeys; two windows except for artist's studio window on second floor. Moulded eaves cornice interrupted by central tall four-light studio window. First floor has French windows in moulded architraves with cornices and brackets and tall casements on ground floor, both of mid C19 type. Central portico with Tuscan columns and above a cast iron balcony extending in front of the first floor windows. Blue Plaque between first floor windows. Rear elevation has casement windows. Attached to front and rear is a stuccoed wall, the front wall having balusters and gatepiers with pyramidal caps. Interior not inspected and may have interesting features. William De Morgan, famous for his formative influence on the Arts and Crafts movement and to some extent on Art Nouveau, perhaps the greatest of all English ceramic artists, was also wen known as a novelist when he lived here and he died here in 1917. The original houses of c1804 were part of Bolton Place prior to 1867 and may formerly have been part of Church Lane West.



Listing NGR: TQ2685178070

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469143

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing