THE GRANARY AT NEW HOUSE FARM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1119774

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1998

Statutory Address: THE GRANARY AT NEW HOUSE FARM

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GRANARY AT NEW HOUSE FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 13:06:01.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GRANARY AT NEW HOUSE FARM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex (District Authority)

Parish: Hurstpierpoint and Sayers Common

National Grid Reference: TQ 25590 18992

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 21 NE TWINEHAM

1144/19/10040 The Granary at New House Farm

II

Cart-shed with granary over. C18 reusing some earlier (probably C17) stone; alterations C19, including addition of outshut and stone steps, and C20. Coursed Wealden sandstone, paler and in larger blocks below continuous 1st-floor stone ledge, uppermost section having bands of red stretcher bricks; C20 weatherboard to returns and gables; outshut of flint and some brick with red-brick quoins. Half-hipped roof of plain clay tiles. Farmyard (north) elevation: 2 storeys, 2 bays. Right bay mostly masked by outshut; end of iron tie to right. Left bay: flight of stone steps on brick base leading up to entrance platform; entrance has C20 board door rising through caves under weather-board gable and notches in threshold from former wooden stair. Rear: chamfered plinth. Near right end, below ledge, is re-set datestone with well-carved relief lettering, "1612" and ?"1574RB". End of tie-rod to left. Central C20 brick buttress. Timber wall-plate; rafter feet visible. Two late C20 roof-lights. Returns: originally open on ground floor; 1st floors have C20 weatherboard and gable windows. Left return has large stone quoins, right return C20 brick piers at sides. Left return ground floor now with wide stable door on left and C20 weatherboard and window to right. Interior: Large-scantling cross-beams resting on wooden plates; original joists and wide floor-boards with trap door in left (east) bay; stone ledge below 1st-floor, as on outside. Granary walls lined with boards; former lath-and-plaster ceiling removed; part of former central board partition remains; door frame has mortices to receive base board. Central collared principal rafter truss; original rafters with collards to receive former laths. The 1st-floor ledge was designed to prevent rats etc gaining access to the granary. A well-built C18 granary re-using earlier materials.





Listing NGR: TQ2559018992

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469328

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing