This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

EXPLOSIVES STORE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EXPLOSIVES STORE

List entry Number: 1119781

Location

EXPLOSIVES STORE, MONDAYS COURT LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Long Sutton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST42NE LONG SUTTON MONDAY'S COURT LANE

1090/6/10001 Explosives Store

II

Small explosives store. Probably mid to late C19. Coursed and squared blue lias limestone rubble facing with a now partly exposed brick roof core. Characteristic arched construction for an explosives store. Central entrance with small wing walls leading to a small chamber, additional chamber on the left. Square headed doorways with stone lintels, the left hand one much lower. Roofs of red brick with most of the external core now gone. HISTORY: Said to have been built as the explosives store for the building of the Great Western Railway's nearby Somerton tunnel which was the principal engineering work on the cut-off line from Castle Cary to Taunton opened in 1906, which has formed the main route to the West-of- England since that date. SOURCE: Information from Mr Redvers Burt, a long time resident of Long Sutton, whose father worked as a navy on the tunnel.



Listing NGR: ST4667626994

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 46676 26994

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119781 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 12:14:13.

End of official listing