NEWTON MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1119898

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: NEWTON MANOR, 170, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWTON MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1119898 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 03:02:21.

Location

Statutory Address: NEWTON MANOR, 170, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Swanage

National Grid Reference: SZ 02047 78934

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 5190 (north side) No 170 (Newton Manor) SZ 0278 4/68 26.6.52 II* GV

2. Originally a farmhouse. The main block, probably C18, the facade refaced C19. To the north of this, an old kitchen block appears C17 - possibly the surviving part of an earlier house. South of the main block a former outbuilding has been converted to a drawing room and extended to the rear - mid C19. At the rear (west) of the main block is a later C18 kitchen wing, with C19 extension linking it to a large C17 barn, converted to a dining room in C19. The house is built of Purbeck Stone, with Purbeck Stone roofs. For some centuries the house and estate belonged to the Cockram family. In c1876 it was bought by Sir John Charles Robinson, Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum, who carried out considerable works. The main block has 3 storeys, and is faced with ashlar stone. It has a battlemented parapet, and stone chimney stacks with oversailing courses. The ground floor has an open stone portico, and 2 double- hung sash windows with diagonal glazing bars. The first and second floors each have 2 double-hung sash windows with diagonal glazing bars, and a central casement window. One dormer in the attic with hipped roof, and casement window. Over the outer doorway is the Coat of Arms of Sir Charles Robinson. In the porch are 2 Ionic columns, one surmounted by a stone dated 1673. The north block has been refaced in ashlar to match the main block. It is of 2 storeys and has a battlemented parapet. The ground floor has 3 windows, one originally mullioned, all now with casements. The south block, formerly an outbuilding, has one storey and attic. The roof is lead-covered and has a battlemented parapet. The ground floor now has a large mullioned window, and the attic has a half-dormer, also mullioned. The rear kitchen wing is of 2 storeys, with a stone slate roof, and has a double-hung sash window. The former barn has a stone slate roof with glazed timber lantern turret in the centre. There is a large stone mullioned oriel window in the former cart entrance. West of this barn is a lower structure of similar construction, originally a cottage (RCHM), but considerably reconstructed. Internally, the house has a number of features introduced by Sir Charles Robinson. The oak carved fireplace surround in the drawing room is of c1600, apparently brought from a house in Dorchester, and the room contains re-used panelling of similar date. In the entrance hall are re-used carved oak doors, probably Portuguese, of C17 date. The double doors leading to the barn (now dining room) are Spanish, of C17 date, representing a Litany of the Virgin. Other doors in the house, of C18 date, are from Lady St Mary Church, Wareham. The main staircase is Flemish, of C17 date, with carved balustrade and newels. The northern ground floor room of the main house has a carved fireplace surrounding, probably C17. The chimney piece in the barn (dining room) is Italian, of C15 date. On the landing, one of the windows has an inscription cut on the glass - "John Cockram, April 4, 1799 - very cold easterly wind". The rear wing of the house has a C18 fireplace in the first floor room. The ground floor of the C17 north block has rough chamfered ceiling beams and a large fireplace, now blocked. Re-set in a modern garden wall is a stone lettered "Newton Manor House" - probably late C18 - found in the stable block, and a C19 Coat of Arms of Princess Victoria, daughter of Queen Victoria. C19 cast iron pump, from London, in front garden. RCHM Monument 11.

Listing NGR: SZ0204778934

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 108194

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)

End of official listing