ASHLEY COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1120054

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Jan-1990

Statutory Address: ASHLEY COTTAGE, 1,2,3 AND 4, VERWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHLEY COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120054 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:04:20.

Location

Statutory Address: ASHLEY COTTAGE, 1,2,3 AND 4, VERWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: St. Leonards and St. Ives

National Grid Reference: SU 13704 05020

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

ST. LEONARDS AND ST. IVES SU 10 NW VERWOOD ROAD 1/45 ASHLEY Ashley Cottage Nos. 1, 2 and 3 II the address shall be amended to read: VERWOOD ROAD ASHLEY Ashley Cottage Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4 II and the description shall be amended to read: Built and extended as the Poor House, now four dwellings; together with outbuildings. 1725, late C18, with C20 alterations. Brick walls of English bond, rubbed flat arches; part painted brickwork of Flemish Garden Wall bond, part with C20 roughcast. Tile roof with stepped brick eaves, flat- roofed dormers. The original south-west front (No. 4) is symmetrical, with a projecting centrepiece of two storeys, 2:1:2 windows. The features are of stone; coupled mullioned windows with chamfered reveals, and C20 metal casements, doorway with a broken pediment, console brackets, architrave and a C20 oak door. The central lights are small casements and between these and the doorway is a stone plaque, with arched head, inscribed "This House Erected by this Parish of Ringwood 1725". To the north of the oldest part there is an extension of similar size, (Nos. 2 and 3) but the elevation has been much altered, with three upper lights (the middle and original C18 leaded casement in a wood frame), three ground floor smaller casements and two C20 doorways; the rear elevation also has three original upper windows. The north end comprises a further extension (No. 1) of 1:2 storeys, 2:2 windows, painted brick walls of Flemish Garden Wall bond, with cambered openings (the upper blank), and a lower pitched slate roof (hipped to the two storeyed section). The interior retains most of its original timber framed struct- ure, with verticals to each bay and two to each cross section, the oak framing being chamfered; there is also a massive chimney breast to the north side of the oldest unit. Associated with the main building are two small single-storeyed utility blocks, set back from the roadway, with walls of brick and stucco, and slate roofs.

------------------------------------

ST LEONARDS AND ST IVES VERWOOD ROAD SU 10 NW ASHLEY 1/45 Ashley Cottage, Nos. 1, 2 and 3 - II Built and extended as the Poor House, now three dwellings; together with outbuildings. 1725, late C18, with C20 alterations. Brick walls of English bond, rubbed flat arches; part painted brickwork of Flemish Garden Wall bond, part with C20 roughcast. Tile roof with stepped brick eaves, flat-roofed dormers. The original south-west front is symmetrical, with a projecting centrepiece of two storeys, 2:1:2 windows. The features are of stone; coupled mullioned windows with chamfered reveals, and C20 metal casements, doorway with a broken pediment, console brackets, architrave and a C20 oak door. The central lights are small casements and between these and the doorway is a stone plaque, with arched head, inscribed "This House Erected by this Parish of Ringwood 1725". To the north of the oldest part there is an extension of similar size, but the elevation has been much altered, with three upper lights (the middle an original C18 leaded casement in a wood frame), three ground floor smaller casements and two C20 doorways; the rear elevation also has three original upper windows. The north end comprises a further extension of 1:2 storeys, 2:2 windows, painted brick walls of Flemish Garden Wall bond, with cambered openings (the upper blank), and a lower pitched slate roof (hipped to the two storeyed section). The interior retains most of its original timber framed structure, with verticals to each bay and two to each cross section, the oak framing being chamfered; there is also a massive chimney breast to the north side of the oldest unit. Associated with the main building are two small single-storeyed utility blocks, set back from the roadway, with walls of brick and stucco, and slate roofs.

Listing NGR: SU1370405020

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 107672

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing