CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1120748
Date first listed:
10-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH KELLOE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120748 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 18:21:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH KELLOE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kelloe
National Grid Reference:
NZ 34509 36542

Details

KELLOE CHURCH KELLOE NZ 33 NW (South side) 7/76 Church of 10/5/67 St. Helen I Parish church. C11 tower and nave; C13 chancel largely rebuilt 1854 and refitted 1901 by W.S. Hicks; Thornley Porch (Chantry Chapel) founded 1347, restored 1691 and converted to organ-chamber in late C19; late C18 vestry and early C19 porch. Dressed stone chancel, coursed rubble elsewhere; Welsh slate roofs. West tower, aisleless nave with south porch and north organ chamber, chancel with north vestry. Windows mainly renewed in C19, some with Geometrical and Decorated tracery. 3-stage tower has massive stepped buttress and C18 diamond sundial on south and small round-headed belfry windows on each face. Long 3-bay nave: herringbone masonry in west end; 3 identical buttresses on south; in porch a round-arched south doorway of 2 worn orders on block capitals with shafts missing; 2 small blocked windows above porch and 2 C19 windows to east; blocked pointed window above similar north door; steeply-pitched roof. Long 2-bay chancel with C19 buttresses; C19 windows except for an original lancet on both north and south; diagonally-buttressed east end has restored 3-light window with Decorated tracery; steeply-pitched roof with coped east gable. Small gabled porch. Organ chamber incorporates medieval plinth and masonry from Thornley porch. Vestry has pointed sash window. Interior: pointed, double-chamfered partly-restored tower and chancel arches. Plastered nave with C19 barrel roof has Charles II Arms above tower arch, C18 circular stone font bowl and 1897 plaque to Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806- 61, who was baptised in the church). Chancel has 1901 barrel roof, panelling and reredos by W.S. Hicks, 2 medieval grave slabs in sanctuary, and elaborate unfinished aedicular wall monument of 1712 by Henry Porter. The St. Helena Cross, on north chancel wall, is a richly-carved, probably C12 stone cross with 3 panels illustrating the legend of the Invention of the True Cross with associated saints Helena and Constantine. (J.T. Lang , "The St. Helena Cross, Church Kelloe", Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th Series, Vol. 5, 1977).

Listing NGR: NZ3451236542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
109957
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, , Vol. 5, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12435/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].