CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1120963
Date first listed:
15-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1120963.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 17:04:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pelton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 24664 53046

Details

PELTON FRONT STREET NZ 25 SW (North side) 3/53 Church of the 15/8/85 Holy Trinity II

Parish church. 1841-2 by George Jackson. Dressed stone and purple slate roof. West tower and spire; aisleless nave and south porch; chancel and north vestry. Early English style.

West tower: square-plan lower stage, gabled on west, has pointed doorway, with colonnettes, loop and blind trefoil in gable; roof of lower stage dying into octagonal clock tower; octagonal belfry has trefoil-headed bell openings, each under a crocketed gablet; octagonal spire and finial. 4-bay nave has plinth, moulded sill band and recessed bays, between buttresses, with single lancets and corbel tables. West and east ends have clasping buttresses surmounted by octagonal turrets with spirelets: single lancets flanking tower; pierced trefoils flanking chancel roof. Shouldered south doorway within porch. Steeply-pitched roof with coped gables. Small 3-bay chancel has plinth, sill and eaves bands; 3 lancets on south; 3 stepped lancets under hoodmould on angle-buttressed east end. Steeply-pitched roof with coped east gable. Gabled porch has clasping buttresses; pointed doorway with colonnettes; corbel tables on returns. 2-bay gabled vestry with boiler-house in basement; pointed east door and 2-light mullioned windows above.

Plastered interior. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on moulded corbels. Elaborate nave roof: 6 king-post trusses and hammerbeam truss at west end; alternate trusses have arched braces with pierced trefoils in spandrels. 1853 font with octagonal bowl on squat pier and moulded base. 1855 rood screen of carved oak with drop tracery and cresting. Stained glass: chancel east window and south window (commemorating cholera outbreak) 1849 by Wailes; nave south window (after Hunt's 'Light of the World') 1911 by Wailes and Strang; also in nave, south window 1977 by Selwyn Beattie, north window 1969 by L.C. Evetts.

Listing NGR: NZ2466453046

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
109397
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/00001/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].