CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1121449
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, WHITWORTH TERRACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121449 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 02:31:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, WHITWORTH TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Spennymoor
National Grid Reference:
NZ 25304 33480

Details

NZ 23 SE SPENNYMOOR WHITWORTH TERRACE (North side)

6/74 Church of 30/3/51 St. Paul

GV II

Parish church. 1856-8 by J.A. Cory; tower said to have been designed 1876- 1880 by C.H. Fowler and built without spire 1890-1899. Plans were submitted in 1881 (Plan 178) by John Henry for tower and steeple, and in 1898 (Plan 319) by Fowler for unnamed work; these plans cannot be found. Plaque in north aisle records 1878 enlargement. Repaired and restored 1954 by S. Dykes Bower after fire which destroyed interior. Coursed sandstone rubble with plinth and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave with west tower and south porch, north aisle and north-west choir vestry; chancel with north vestry. Strap hinges with fleur-de-lys finials on boarded door in triple-chamfered surround with 2-centred-arch; side buttresses support stone- coped gable; restored sundial in gable peak. Blocked quatrefoils in porch returns. 3-bay nave has cusped tracery in 2-light windows, on sill string interrupted by buttresses with offests; lancets in 2-bay chancel, paired in west bay, all with dripmoulds. Large 3-light east window has similar tracery and sill strings; buttresses, angle at corner. North aisle similar to nave, and with large 3-light west window under gable. Flat-roofed north-west vestry has stone-mullioned 3-light windows and Tudor-arched north door. Tower has 3 offsets and angle buttresses with corresponding offsets; single west light in high first stage on firstoffset; smaller lights in second stage; paired belfry openings with louvres, under corbel table and coped parapet. New swept pyramidal copper spire. Steeply-pitched roofs, with overlapping gable copings and stone cross finials; aisle roof slightly lower than nave.

Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; keeled ribbed boarded roof, with chancel roof painted. Arcade of 3 wide double-chamfered 2-centred arches and one narrow arch on octagonal piers; double-hollow-chamfered chancel arch on shafted corbels. Elliptical-headed organ arch on north. 1954 door to north vestry and window above. 2 tower piers with quoins support shafts to possible arch now obscured by resited organ. Rerearches. Tower oratory. Chancel roof richly painted. Glass: fragments of original in light over vestry door; south chancel windows post-1954 by Goddard and Gibbs (initials in galleon) with A.E.B. Octagonal stone pedestal font, with high-quality swept cover, beside door. Monuments include plaque to Rosa Charlotte Duncomb Shafto, died 1899, 'a liberal donor ... a zealous promoter of every good work'. South African War memorial plaque by H. Eagle and Co., Newcastle, to those who 'cheerfully responded', listing regiments.

Source: Sedgefield District Council, Spennymoor Urban District register of submitted plans, 1876-1900.

Grants from Incorporated Church Building Society received 1856, 1879 and 1955.

Listing NGR: NZ2530433480

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
112276
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00778/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Wilcockson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].