CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1121721

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121721 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:22:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Barningham

National Grid Reference: NZ 08531 10448

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 0810 BARNINGHAM BARNINGHAM VILLAGE (North side)

15/35 Church of St. Michael

GV II



Parish Church. 1816 on medieval site, remodelled 1891 by Pritchett. Rubble with buttresses of tooled-and-margined stone; ashlar dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof. 4-bay preaching box with narrower 2-bay chancel and west tower; 1891 insertion of arcades, chancel arch and internal divisions to produce 3-bay aisled nave and chancel flanked by vestries. 1891 remodelling in a Free C15 style.

Tower has stepped angle buttresses and boarded double doors on south in double-chamfered pointed arch with hoodmould. Cinquefoil-headed window above and 2-light belfry openings. Moulded string and corner gargoyles below embattled parapet with wrought-iron weather vane at south-west corner. Body of church has stepped buttresses at angles and between bays. 3-light windows to nave. 2 cinquefoil-headed lights on south of chancel, the eastern above a priest's door; 2-light windows on each side of east bay. 5-light east window under coped gable on moulded kneelers with 8-terminal cross fleury finial. On north 2 boarded basement doors in 1816 pointed arches.

Interior: Plastered; hammer-beam roofs. Arcades have broad 4-centred double- chamfered arches with hoodmoulds, on octagonal piers with moulded caps and tall moulded bases. Similar chancel arch with foliage hoodmould stops. Panelled dado in nave. Late C19 carved chancel screen, panelled wood reredos and tiled sanctuary floor. Re-set C12 pillar piscina from previous church. 1791 wall tablet with urn to Rev. Matthew More; in north vestry 1839 wall tablet to William Harry Vane by Davies of Newcastle. Early medieval headstone cross in sanctuary. East window 1892, Christ reigning and Evangelists, as memorial to Harry Vane Milbank. Brass candelabra in chancel.

Listing NGR: NZ0853110448

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 111624

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing