CHURCH OF ST. MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1121827
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. MARY, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121827.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:23:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. MARY, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cockfield
National Grid Reference:
NZ 12903 24244

Details

COCKFIELD FRONT STREET NZ 12 SW (South side) 9/2 (inset) Church of St. Mary

GV II*

Parish church. C13 with C19 and C20 additions on north aisle, large west extension, small east extension, and south porch. Sandstone, the medieval rubble and the modern snecked, with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; roof grey Lakeland slates with graduated green slates on chancel; stone gable copings. 7-bay nave with north aisle continuous as organ chamber to chancel, and south porch; 4-bay chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Steeply-gabled porch has double boarded doors in chamfered surround with dripmould; 3 closely-set lancets to east and 3 more widely spaced modern lancets to west of porch. Lower chancel has blocked priest's door at west, with continuous impost and dripmould, and chamfered rectangular low side windows to left of door; 4 irregular lancets, the 2 eastern ones inserted. East front re-built with 3 lancets with renewed heads and irregular block surrounds. West front has paired nave lancets under vesica and gabled bellcote with paired arches; buttress between nave and aisle, which has 3 stepped lancets under gable. North aisle has door and group of 5 lancets, and low arched vault recess. Gabled vestry. Steeply-pitched roofs with stone cross finials.

Interior: rubble with ashlar dressings; plaster in chancel. Modern crown- post nave roof; panelled chancel roof. Chamfered C13 chancel arch of 2 orders with pyramid stops above and below impost string; double-chamfered arcade on round piers with moulded capitals. Double-chamfered external face of south door with drip mould on impost string and half-octagonal shafts. Trefoil heads to lancets, the medieval with squared corners. Roll-moulded piscina with carved bowl; 2 square-headed piscinas (in south nave wall, with projecting bowl and altered in aisle wall). Octagonal medieval font on square pedestal with broach-stopped chamfers, C17 pew backs, with widely-spaced balusters, re-used as dado on west and south walls and behind lectern. Monuments include inscribed panel to Thomas and Hannah Watson, died 1713 and 1696, in corniced frame with coat of arms in scrolled pediment,to north of chancel arch; medieval effigy and incised grave covers in chancel; 6 other medieval grave slabs set in north aisle and in south porch. High quality rood screen is memorial to 2nd Lieut. H.W. Summerson, died 1918; low-relief panel of kneeling soldier; Gothic tracery.

Listing NGR: NZ1290324244

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111367
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00940/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pat Maycroft. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].