This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1121925



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lamberhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 169965

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 63 NW, 2/128

LAMBERHURSRT, BAYHAM ABBEY, Bayham Abbey and garden terraces




House and terrace, now apartments. 1870-72 for the Marquess Camden by David Brandon, architect, and converted 1985. Coursed hammer-dressed ragstone with green slate roofs. Jacobean style. Entrance (north) front: 3-storey main block with plinth, string course and modillion eaves cornice to balustraded roof with three irregularly sized and slightly projecting shaped gables to left and (paired) to centre, and stacks ranged from left to right and to right front. Ten variously sized stone mullioned and transomed windows on each floor, with 15-light stair window to centre right on first floor and central porte-cochère, with coupled columns, keyed and banded arches and pierced parapet. Lower 3-storey service wing to left also with shaped gable and with bell tower, and projecting 2-storey and single-storey service buildings, enclosing a courtyard at end left. Garden elevation symmetrical and on smaller frontage, with similar detailing as to entrance front and with 2 shaped gabled wings projecting at left and right, with 2-storey bays, that to right canted, and central 2 storey bow window. Five bays in all. Two-storey wing to right, with shaped gabled projecting centrepiece, and 2 bay arcaded porch linking to main block. Single-storey pilastered garden room attached to left and, with octagonal stair vice, filling in re-entrant to return elevation of entrance front, with shaped gable and 2 storey canted bay. The house stands on a terraced platform projecting from the western elevation of the house and connected to it by a stone wall with wrought iron gate. The terrace is rectangular in plan with a bowed section to the south of the house, and has a pierced parapetted wall around it with occasional low piers, with an opening into the gardens to the west. The lowest levels are reached on the west side by a single flight of steps, and to the south by 3 flights of steps, all with low sidewalls and piers bearing urns. Overlooks a fine, probably largely earlier, landscaped park with the ruins of Bayham Abbey, and Brandon's church and various other features (Humphry Repton was consulted c.1800).

INTERIOR: despite conversion to a number of units, the principal interiors survive, including Doric screened entrance hall leading to grand staircase (not seen); ballroom, with modillion cornice to panelled ceiling, and enriched marble fireplace and bow window shutters operated by patent mechanical system set within the window piers; dining room richly panelled in carved Italian walnut, and with swagged segmentally headed fireplace (the chimney pieces supplied by Earp, Kennington Road, London), and panelled ceiling.

Listing NGR: TQ6629036831

Selected Sources

Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 24 Kent,

National Grid Reference: TQ 64453 36819


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 10:26:37.

End of official listing