This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE GUN AND SPITROAST PUBLIC HOUSE AND REAR COURTYARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GUN AND SPITROAST PUBLIC HOUSE AND REAR COURTYARD

List entry Number: 1121941

Location

THE GUN AND SPITROAST PUBLIC HOUSE AND REAR COURTYARD, THE HEATH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Horsmonden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Oct-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 169954

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORSMONDEN THE HEATH TQ 7040-7140 (south side) 7/118 The Gun and Spitroast Public House and rear courtyard. GV II

Public House. C17 or earlier, altered and extended C18 and early C19. Timber framed and tile hung, extended with painted brick. Plain tiled roofs. Two parallel ranges extended to right. Two storeys and attic on plinth with discontinuous plat band and moulded wooden eaves cornice to roof hipped to right, gabled to left with stacks to rear left and to rear right and 3 hipped dormers. Ridge line stepped down to right to 2 storeys with stack at end right. Five 2 and 3 light wooden casements on first floor and 3 light casement to left on ground floor with segmental head, with large hipped porch to centre left with 4 centred arched boarded door; right hand section with ground floor built out with plate glass picture windows and boarded door to right. Rear wing of 2 storeys, gabled with projecting cross-wing at left with hipped roof and gablet. Small rear courtyard with early C19 single storey outbuildings of red brick and plain tiled roofs. Interior: altered late C2O, but with elements of the original frame still visible, and with inglenook fireplace. The original name was The Gun, first licensed in the 1570's and licensed as a forge in 1618. The Heath, now the village centre, is some 2 miles from the church, and grew up as a result of the C16/C17 iron industry, especially that belonging to the Brown family, Royal Gunfounders, their mill pond at Shirrenden surviving half a mile to the north-east.

Listing NGR: TQ7004540511

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 70045 40511

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1121941 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 08:21:59.

End of official listing