This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DANBURY PALACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DANBURY PALACE

List entry Number: 1122202

Location

DANBURY PALACE, DANBURY PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Danbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 112488

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. DANBURY DANBURY PARK 5213 Danbury palace TL 70 SE 14/611

II

An early C19 red brick mansion dating from 1832. It stands on the site of a Mildmay mansion dated 1589. It was designed by Susan Costantia Round, wife of the owner, and Thomas Hopper. From 1845 to 1890 it was occupied by the Bishops of Rochester and later of St Albans. It is now owned by the Essex County Council. The main block is 2 storeys and parts rise to 3 and 4 storeys. The windows generaLly are mullioned and transomed casements. A large 2 storey entrance bay projects on the west side with an ornamental open parapet and corner turrets. The south side has a castellated parapet and an octagonal corner turret on the north-east corner. At the south end there is a chapel with traceried windows which was added by Bishop Wigram (1860-67).

Listing NGR: TL7663504955

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 15 Essex,

National Grid Reference: TL 76635 04955

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 04:34:29.

End of official listing