This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE SWAN PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SWAN PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1122342

Location

THE SWAN PUBLIC HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Birdbrook

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-May-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 114077

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 74 SW BIRDBROOK BAYTHORNE END 3/13 The Swan Public House

GV II

Lobby-entrance house, C17, altered in C20, now a public house. Timber framed, plastered, front elevation of C20 yellow brick in Flemish Bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays aligned approx. NW-SE, aspect NE, with original axial chimney stack in second bay from SE end forming a lobby-entrance. Long rear extension from SE end, with external chimney stack and bread oven at end, and single-storey extension beyond. Shorter rear extension from NW end, with axial chimney stack, and single-storey lean-to extension at end. Lean-to extension to rear of main range. C20 toilet block to W. 2 storeys. Half- glazed door at front of C20 gabled porch, half-glazed door under bracketed hood, 3 double-hung sash windows of 16 lights. First floor, 3 double-hung sash windows of 12 lights. Rusticated brick quoins, dentils below eaves, 2 sections of facade set slightly forward. Interior has plain-chamfered beams with lamb's tongue stops above ground and first floors. Face-halved and bladed scarfs in wallplates. Main chimney stack rebuilt at ground floor level. S stack complete, mantel beam with lamb's tongue stops, door of bread oven missing. A deed in the possession of the brewers, of which the licensee has a copy and transcript, records the sale of the property in 1707 by John Pyke alias Crouch, gent, to William Pye and Rosa his wife for £50. An inscription in the W wall of the parish church refers to 'Martha Blewit of the Swan Inn at Bathorn-End in this Parish, buried May 7th 1681'.

Listing NGR: TL7238642869

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 72386 42869

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122342 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:54:08.

End of official listing