OLIVERS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1122997

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: OLIVERS FARMHOUSE, GREAT YELDHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLIVERS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122997 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 16:26:18.

Location

Statutory Address: OLIVERS FARMHOUSE, GREAT YELDHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Toppesfield

National Grid Reference: TL 74480 36750

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 73 NW TOPPESFIELD GREAT YELDHAM ROAD South Side 3/19 Olivers Farmhouse 7.8.1952 GV II*

Manor house, late C16, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays aligned approx. E-W, aspect N, with external chimney stacks at W end and to rear of second bay from W. One-bay service range to rear of E bay, with end chimney stack. 2 storeys and attics. 2 boarded doors with plain lights over, 5 C20 casement windows on ground floor. On first floor, 3 more, and 2 C19 cast iron casement windows. 3 gabled dormers with one fixed light and one wrought iron casement in each, late C17/early C18, and some early glass. The interior has heavy studding and jowled posts. All the main frame members are chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. In addition, the central posts of the 2-bay ground floor 'hall' have carved jowled heads. This room has a binding beam, and twinned bridging beams in each bay, all moulded, and the joists are of horizontal section, chamfered with bar stops. The attic floor is original, with chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops. The roof is of clasped purlin construction with high arched collars and arched wind bracing. The S ground floor fireplace has been rebuilt; that above it has an original brick depressed arch. An estate map by John Bowra, 1738, in the possession of George Unwin of Toppesfield Hall, shows the house with a rear stair tower at the W end of the 'hall', which is confirmed by structural evidence. The storey heights are exceptional, 2.67 metres on the ground floor, 2.46 metres on the first floor. A plaster shield of arms found in the upper W wall is that of the Symonds family of Great Yeldham; Richard Simon held it in 1627 (Morant). RCHM 14.

Listing NGR: TL7448036750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114506

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing