BRADFIELDS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1122999

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: BRADFIELDS, HARROW HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRADFIELDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1122999 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 17:50:04.

Location

Statutory Address: BRADFIELDS, HARROW HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Toppesfield

National Grid Reference: TL 72597 36555

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 73 NW TOPPESFIELD HARROW HILL, South Side 3/26 Bradfields 7.8.1952 (formerly listed as: II* "Bradfields Farmhouse")

House of medieval origin, mainly C16, altered in C18. Timber framed, plastered with some exposed framing, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4-bay main range aligned NW-SE, with late C16 chimney stack in bay 3 from NW end. Early C16 crosswing of 3 bays at NW end, jettied on the long (NW) side, with C18 chimney stack in middle bay. C17/18 NE extension near SE end of main range, forming an F-plan. C17 stair tower to SW of main stack, and single-storey SW extension with catslide roof. 2 storeys. NE elevation, 6-panel door with rusticated jambs and architrave with triglyphs. 4 double-hung sash windows of 12 lights, of which 3 are early C18, one late C18, and one C20 casement window. First floor, 3 similar late C18 sash windows. On the NW elevation the timber frame is exposed, with close studding and Suffolk bracing. The interior of this NW wing has roll-moulded axial and transverse beams, and roll- moulded joists of horizontal section. On both floors of the SW bay there is early C18 pine panelling. The posts are jowled, and there is one long arched brace to a cambered tiebeam. The crownpost roof has plain posts and arched axial braces. On the first floor there is a mid-C19 iron grate. The NW part of the hall range has 2 parallel longitudinal beams with single ogee moulding and lamb's tongue stops. The room above has a hearth of plastered brick with depressed arch and chamfered jambs, c.1570, and over this and the NW wall there are contemporary paintings of honeysuckle, pinks and grapes in swirling patterns. In the same room there is a blocked window of similar date with one ovolo mullion. The roof was rebuilt in the late C17. The stair tower has a late C17 staircase with turned balusters. The part of the hall range to the SE of the main stack is medieval but much altered at ground floor level. The rafters of the gablet roof are smoke-blackened at the apex, indicating the former existence of a smoke vent from the former hall. The NW side of the parition separating this from the rest of the main range is smoke-blackened, indicating a smoke-bay or partially floored hall in this position. The late C16 ground-floor hearth facing SE is 2.97 metres wide, with broach stops on the mantel beam. RCHM 6.

Listing NGR: TL7259736555

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114511

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing