THE CEDERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123133

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Statutory Address: THE CEDERS, 80, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CEDERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123133 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 21:21:42.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CEDERS, 80, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 85291 22856

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET (south-east side)

9/74 No. 80 (The Cedars) 31.10.66

GV II

Inn and house, now a house. C17 and c.1800, extended in early C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with hand-cut grey slates. C17 range aligned NE-SW with axial stack one bay from NE end. Parallel range to NW, c.1800, with internal stack to rear of right part. Early C20 extension to N, projecting forward of main elevation, and of irregular plan to align with street, with one internal stack. 2 storeys and belvedere. NW elevation (to street), 2-window range of original sashes of 12 lights with false flat arches and projecting keystones, and one sash over door with semi-circular false arch and keystones, and interlaced Gothick tracery in upper sash. Central 6-panel door, bottom panels flush, raised ovals in middle panels, top panels glazed, in doorcase with engaged columns, triglyph frieze and moulded pediment; 4 moulded stone steps with 2 wrought iron bootscrapers. Long projecting eaves with paired brackets, hipped roof of shallow pitch with central well. Stacks of gault brick above roof. Central belvedere, early C20, rectangular with shallow hipped roof, weatherboarded below continuous glazing, with iron finial. Cast iron railings along boundary with street, returning to house each side of door and to connecting brick wall at right end, and connected to projecting extension at left end; 8 stanchions of cruciform section to right of door, 5 to left of door, and 2 rails of diamond section. The left extension incorporates an earlier brick wall to first-floor level. The rear elevation has 3 French windows with marginal lights and a half-glazed door under a latticed wooden canopy with glass roof, and 3 first-floor windows similar to those at the front. In the right return one window on each floor in front of the brick wall is similar to those at the front. Much original crown glass in all windows. The central entrance- hall extends through the house, with a richly ornamented semi-circular arch at the junction of the 2 ranges. The geometrical stair is probably on the site of an original axial stack, demolished when the house was re-modelled c.1800. Wreathed and moulded mahogany handrail, stick balusters, scrolled tread-ends, Gothick niche with fluted jambs and ogee head in upper wall. Moulded 6-panel mahogany doors to all adjacent rooms. White marble fireplaces, c.1800. Plaster ceiling cornices. Storey height approximately 3 metres. The rear left room has an early C18 dado of fielded pine panelling, a C17 oak overmantel, and alcoves with semi-elliptical arches each side; the cast iron grate is reported to be introduced from Yorkshire in the late C19. On the first floor of the stair hall is a plain semi-elliptical arch. Rooms of the rear range have moulded oak beams; C17 6-panel oak doors. The belvedere incorporates C18 wrought iron casements, moulded mullions and saddle bars. The rear range survives from The Green dragon Inn, the remainder demolished in 1809 by Thomas Andrewes, solicitor (G.F. Beaumont, A History of Coggeshall in Essex, 1890, 237). RCHM 34.

Listing NGR: TL8529122856

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116106

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beaumont, GF , A History of Coggeshall in Essex, (1890), 237

End of official listing