CURD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123140

Date first listed: 17-Aug-1979

Statutory Address: CURD HALL, CUTHEDGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CURD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123140 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 08:38:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CURD HALL, CUTHEDGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 83215 21648

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 82 SW COGGESHALL CUTHEDGE LANE (north side)

5/86 Curd Hall 17.8.79

- II

House. C17, extended in C18 and c.1900. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 5 bays facing N with central stack forming a lobby-entrance, and original 2-bay wing to rear of left end. Shorter wing to rear of right end, and lean-to extension beyond, forming a catslide with the roof of the original wing. Extension to right in stock bricks with red brick dressings, c.1900. 2 storeys and unlit attics. Ground floor, one early C19 sash of 12 lights, one early C19 tripartite sash of 4-12-4 lights, and 2 C20 casements. First floor, 3 early C19 sashes of 12 lights. Door at side of C20 large gabled porch. One projecting gable over post between 2 left bays, with moulded bressumer and truncated finial. Jowled posts. Slightly curved tension braces trenched inside close studding, nailed at the crossings, on upper storey only. Chamfered axial beams over ground-floor rooms of main range, with lamb's tongue stops over the left room, unstopped over the right room. The latter has exposed plain joists of vertical section and C20 brick nogging in the right wall. Large wood-burning-hearth to left, with rear splays, jambs of 0.33 metre brickwork, repaired and re-pointed in C20. Large wood-burning hearth facing to right, with internal recess in rear jamb, and chamfered mantel beam with lamb's tongue stops, with numerous rushlight burns, and fixing holes for former spit. In the lobby-entrance the original posts flanking the doorway have been removed, leaving wattle fixings and mortices, indicating that it was offset to the left, nearer the parlour. Face-halved and bladed scarf in wallplate above. In the first-floor rooms of the main range the internal tiebeams are straight and chamfered, and chamfered bridging beams with lamb's tongue stops are jointed into them, forming original attic floors. Blocked hearth in left room, small hearth with rear splays and depressed brick arch in right room. In rear wall of right room, blocked window of early glazed type, with 2 ovolo-moulded mullions, 2 of 3 diamond saddle bars, and inserted and nailed head. Clasped purlin roof. The original rear wing has a chamfered binding beam, unstopped, jowled posts with offset tenons, and a chamfered straight internal tiebeam with runout stops. Illustrated in RCHM (Little Coggeshall) 4 with 2 projecting gables. The frame is illustrated in C.A. Hewett, Some East Anglian Prototypes for Early Timber Houses in America, Post-Medieval Archaeology 3, 1969, 108 and 111, with 2 projecting gables and without the rear wing. In an estate map of 1735 the house is illustrated as having 3 gables and 2 chimneys (Essex Record Office D/DU 19/4). In the tithe award of 1853 the house was associated with a farm of 190 acres (Essex Record Office D/CT 88).

Listing NGR: TL8321521648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116118

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Post Medieval Archaeology' in Post Medieval Archaeology, , Vol. 3, (1969), 108, 111

End of official listing