This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RIVERSIDE MALTINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RIVERSIDE MALTINGS

List entry Number: 1123157

Location

RIVERSIDE MALTINGS, BRIDGE STREET
RIVERSIDE MALTINGS, RIVERSIDE MALTINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coggeshall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116058

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL BRIDGE STREET (east side)

9/27 Nos. 2 and 3, 31.10.66 Riverside Maltings (formerly listed as No. 33 (Rood House), Birdge Street)

GV II

Wrongly shown on OS map as no. 33, Bridge Street. House, now 2 houses. Late C16, renovated in 1982. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4-bay main range facing W, 2 storeys. To rear right, 2-bay wing of 2 storeys with attics, with stack at the junction, and 2-bay 2-storey extension beyond, jettied to the right. To rear left, 2-bay wing of 3 storeys. Between the 2 rear wings a small extension bridges over the upper storey. Ground floor, one early C19 sash of 16 lights, and one original unglazed window with modern glazing outside. First floor, 2 similar sashes. No. 2, C20 plain door. No. 3, C20 half-glazed door. The stack to rear right has 5 octagonal shafts, truncated. 3 gables of different sizes stand above the ridge of the main range. The left 2 bays of the main range are structurally separate from the remainder. Jowled posts. Girts and wallplates are chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, indicating a date after c.1565; the combination of these features with an unglazed window indicates that it cannot be much later. The unglazed window has been renovated; one diamond mullion of machine-sawn timber has been inserted; others have been reversed, so that they are now weathered on the inside. Chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops; plain joists of horizontal section in left bay, raised. The right bays have chamfered joists of square section, with lamb's tongue stops. In no. 2, early C19 straight stair with turned newels, moulded handrail of pine, stick balusters, sand-blasted. In the wallplates of both parts, edge-halved and bridled scarfs and grooves for sliding shutters. In front of right stack, wood-burning hearth with chamfered depressed arch, re-pointed; to rear of it, large wood-burning hearth, disused; and above, smaller hearth with ovolo-moulded depressed arch, disused. On a wall of this room, mutilated wall painting with poppies, c.1600. Both rear wings have jowled posts, curved braces trenched inside the studding, and in the upper storey unglazed windows with diamond mortices; in no. 2, modern diamond mullions have been inserted. In the lower right wall of no. 2 is a window of early glazed type, with ovolo-moulded surround and unrefined ovolo mullion. The combination of these features indicates that the whole house was built between 1565 and 1600, although probably in 3 or 4 successive phases. Shown as a main range with 2 rear wings in a map of 1639 (Essex Record Office, D/DOp P.1). Illustrated by J. Greig in Excursions through Essex with the rear wings thatched, the main range tiled and partly ashlared. Birthplace of Dr. John Gardner (1804-80), physician and co-founder of the General Apothecaries' Company and of the Royal College of Chemistry. (J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall, Essex, 1951, 32). The name derives from Roode's Land (G.F. Beaumont, A History of Coggeshall in Essex, 1890, 235-6). RCHM (Little Coggeshall) 6.

Listing NGR: TL8495622371

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beaumont, GF , A History of Coggeshall in Essex, (1890), 235-6
Gardner, J S, Coggeshall Essex, (1951), 32
Greig, J , Excursions through Essex, (1818), 235-6

National Grid Reference: TL 84956 22371

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:22:20.

End of official listing