This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SAUNDERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SAUNDERS

List entry Number: 1123163

Location

SAUNDERS, 27, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coggeshall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116072

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET (north-west side)

9/41 No. 27 (Saunders) 2.5.53 (formerly listed as Premises 50 yds south west of London House)

GV II

House. C16, altered in C18, C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered with exposed framing at the front, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 2-bay range facing SE. 2-bay wing to rear of left bay, with stack at the junction. Early C19 wing to right rear with internal stack at right, and 2-storey lean-to extension filling the space between this and left rear wing, both roofed with slate. Long single-storey lean-to extension beyond right wing, roofed with slate. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 early C19 sashes, originally of 4-12-4 lights, each lower central sash altered to one light. First floor, 2 C18/early C19 sashes of 12 lights with crown glass. Near-central C20 door with 2-centred head. Continuous jetty, moulded fascia covering ends of joists of horizontal section. Moulded jetty plate with 2 plain sections, partly mutilated. At left end, attached shaft with carved capital and hollow-chamfered bracket. At right end, one plain-chamfered bracket, and evidence of former attached shaft below. All or most of the studding of the lower storey is replaced; 2 introduced brackets beside door. Most of the studding of the upper storey is original up to window sill height, renewed above. Moulded wallplate. The pattern of moulded and plain areas indicates that originally there was a oriel below the jetty to left of the door, and possibly a 2-storey porch. The Provisional List of April 1960 reported a Doric doorcase, removed in major alterations of 1960-1, and dated the C18 alterations to c.1737, the evidence for which is not now apparent. The framing was probably exposed in the same operation. Chamfered axial beams with plain stops above ground floor, moulded transverse and axial beams with lamb's tongue stops above first floor, both with plain joists of horizontal section. C19 hearth in front of left stack, C20 hearth to rear. Linenfold panelling incorporating a panel with a carved and painted shield bearing a merchant's mark and the initials I.S. was reported by the RCHM as in the rear wing and as being original; it is now at the left end of the front wing, and incorporates some C19 reproduction work. Roof of main range rebuilt with ridge. The rear left wing has plain joists of horizontal section, unjowled posts, unchamfered tiebeams (reported as chamfered by RCHM), and a roof with high trenched collars; no visible evidence of crownposts. In the right rear wing, on the upper floor, is an early C19 fluted fire surround with paterae. The dating of this building is problematical, but the detail of the upper storey of the main range is similar to that of nos. 52 and 54, Church Street (item 9/66, q.v.) and is probably of similar date, 1565, or later. The carved capital of the lower storey suggests an early C16 origin. The initials on the carved panelling have been variously identified as of John Saunders (J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall, Essex, 1951, 34) or John Sparhawk (F.A. Girling, English Merchants' Marks, 1964). Gardner states that this is part of the former Great House. RCHM 16.

Listing NGR: TL8511422698

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gardner, J S, Coggeshall Essex, (1951), 34
Girling, FA, English Merchants Marks, (1964)

National Grid Reference: TL 85117 22694

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123163 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:05:14.

End of official listing