Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123474

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985



Ordnance survey map of TOWN HOUSE COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123474 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 16:53:20.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Great Bardfield

National Grid Reference: TL 67473 30489


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 6730 GREAT BARDFIELD HIGH STREET (north-west side)

8/171 Town House Cottages 21.12.67 (Formerly listed as Nos.1 and 2 Town House Cottages) GV II

House. Circa 1500 and C19, altered in 1984. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. At the time of survey, July 1984, 2 cottages were being converted into one house. The left cottage comprises the service bay and the 2 lower bays of a 3-bay hall of a house, c.1500, facing SE, with an inserted internal stack at the left end against the rear wall. The right cottage was built in the Cl9, with a central stack which does not appear above roof level. 2 single-storey lean-to extensions at rear, C19. One storey, cellar and attics. 2 C20 casements, one Cl9 horizontally sliding sash of 24 lights, 4 C20 casements in gabled dormers with C19 fretted and pierced bargeboards and finials. One 4- panel door with upper panels glazed, one boarded door with small glazed pane, double doors to garage in right bay. Stack at left end, behind ridge, with 4 octagonal shafts. The left dormer bears the date 1609 painted on the plaster. The left door is on the site of the original door of the medieval house, and the back door is on the site of the original back door. To the right the low end partition of the hall is almost complete, with twin doorways with moulded jambs and 4-centred heads, and heavy studding. The bay to the right retains the original lodged floor of longitudinal plain joists of horizontal section, the axial partition removed. The partition between the screens passage and the main part of the hall has been removed, and there is a late C16 inserted floor with longitudinal joists of horizontal section, and original boards. Large wood- burning hearth. On the first floor there is a rebate for the shutters of the hall window in the front wallplate, and a crownpost above the service doors with axial bracing. Above ceiling level the collars and rafters of the hall are smoke-blackened. The 'high end' bay of the hall is now part of Town House, to the left (q.v.), and a rear wing of c.1600, also now part of Town House, overlaps the left end of this property and was served by the same stack. The date 1609 could relate to the insertion of the dormer in the upper part of the hall (the Walker maps in Essex Record Office show that dormers appear after 1600). RCHM 25.

Listing NGR: TL6747330489


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115310

Legacy System: LBS


An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing