This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE WHITE HART INN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE WHITE HART INN

List entry Number: 1123787

Location

THE WHITE HART INN, 2, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kelvedon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116506

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELVEDON HIGH STREET TL 8418-8518 (south-east side)

9/198 No. 2 (The White Hart 21.12.67 Inn) GV II

2 houses combined,now a public house. Early C19 and c.1600 respectively, both extended in C19. Timber framed, painted brick and plaster, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. House to left, of T-plan with central stack, early C19, mainly of painted brick. C19 catslide extension to right of rear wing, and late C19 2-storey lean-to extension to left of rear wing, roofed with slate, completing a rectangular plan. 2 storeys and cellar. House to right, single range of 3 bays with central stack, timber framed and plastered, c.1600. C19 lean-to extension to rear, mainly of painted brick, roofed with red clay corrugated tiles. 2 storeys. Both face NW, abut together and are connected internally. House to left, ground floor, 2 late C19 tripartite sashes of 2-4-2 lights; first floor, 4 late C19 sashes of 4 lights and one blind aperture at right end. 2 recessed 6-panel doors, 4 panels glazed, both with simple moulded architraves; that on the right has a pulvinated frieze and moulded pediment. Plain band at first floor. Plaster moulded eaves cornice with bracketed corbels. Roof hipped at left end. To rear, early C19 half-glazed door with 9 lights and crown glass. House to right, ground floor, one early C19 sash of 10 + 10 lights, one C20 replica; first floor, 2 C19 casements. A photograph in RCHM shows it with 4 or 5 truncated octagonal shafts, but now only 2 tubular flues emerge from the roof, behind the ridge. Interior of ground floor much altered. In right house, chamfered transverse and axial beams with lamb's tongue stops. Wood-burning hearth with replaced mantel beam, brickwork disturbed. RCHM 15.

Listing NGR: TL8594418435

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 85944 18435

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123787 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 07:46:32.

End of official listing