This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WAREHOUSE AND WORKSHOP AT MELLONS TIMBER YARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WAREHOUSE AND WORKSHOP AT MELLONS TIMBER YARD

List entry Number: 1123820

Location

WAREHOUSE AND WORKSHOP AT MELLONS TIMBER YARD, 99, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kelvedon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jul-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116490

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELVEDON HIGH STREET TL 8418-8518 (north-west side)

10/177 No. 99, Warehouse and 25.6.74 workshop at Mellons Timber Yard (formerly listed as Warehouse, Mellons Timber Yard)

GV II

Warehouse and workshop. C19. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with corrugated iron and red clay pantiles. 4 bays aligned NW-SE, with entrance to SW, 3 storeys, and 3 bays to NW same alignment, one storey with loft. SE elevation (to High Street), full-width band of small-pane fixed lights on ground and first floors. On second floor, moulded frame enclosing the whole storey, formerly of a trade sign. Semi-circular fixed light with moulded rim in gable. On the left return, 3 bays of the ground floor are open; plain boarded door with simple canopy in SE bay. On first floor, double loading doors, and to each side, continuous band of small-pane fixed lights. On second floor, similar loading doors, shorter band of similar windows. Low-pitched corrugated iron roof. The smaller building to the NW; has in the SW elevation, scattered fenestration on the ground floor, and a full-length band of small-pane fixed lights in the loft; half-glazed door in recessed entrance bay, and one plain boarded door; pantiled roof. In main building, bolted knees to transverse beams. Ground floor approx. 0.5 metre below the level of tarmac yard. Shown on First Edition 25" o.s. map of 1875, and apparently on tithe map of 1840 (Essex Record Office, D/CT 196). A timber business was founded on this site by Jeremiah Braddy in 1818, and remained in the family until 1964, when it was sold by William Braddy to Mellons (Essex County Standard, 15 December1978).

Listing NGR: TL8611618800

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 86116 18800

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123820 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 07:07:36.

End of official listing