HEIGAINES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123826

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: HEIGAINES, 195, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HEIGAINES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 23:04:24.

Location

Statutory Address: HEIGAINES, 195, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Kelvedon

National Grid Reference: TL8636819115

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELVEDON HIGH STREET (north-west side) No. 195 (Heigaines) TL 86368 19115 8/192 GV II

House. C16 or earlier, extended in C19, much altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range facing SE, with C19 axial stack near left end. 2 adjacent C19 wings to rear, with truncated C19 external stack to left, and C20 external stack at end of right wing. One storey with attics. 2 C20 casements, and 3 more in gabled dormers. C20 door with side-lights. Half-hipped gambrel roof on main range, gablet hip on left rear wing, full hip on right rear wing. All rear windows are C20 casements. Chamfered axial beam supported in internal stack at left end, with lamb's tongue stops and introduced post at right end. Joists of horizontal section with step stops jointed to beam with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. As the wall framing is concealed by plaster it is not clear whether this is an inserted floor of c.1570 in an earlier building, or part of the original construction. The axial stack originally had coal-burning hearths to left and right; right hearth now blocked, converted to a recess facing to left. Plain joists of vertical section in left bay. Roof rebuilt as a gambrel in C18/19. The rear wings have thin studding and primary straight bracing. Plain joists of vertical section in left rear wing, much disturbed by C20 alterations. Documentary evidence from 1581 (B.L. Kentish, Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974, 72, A.A. Dibben, Title Deeds, 1971, 26).

Listing NGR: TL8636819115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116503

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kentish, BL , Kelvedon and its Antiquities, (1974), 72

End of official listing