COBHAM OAK COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1123836

Date first listed: 22-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: COBHAM OAK COTTAGES, INWORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COBHAM OAK COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123836 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 14:36:55.

Location

Statutory Address: COBHAM OAK COTTAGES, INWORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Feering

National Grid Reference: TL 87206 19596

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FEERING INWORTH ROAD TL 8619-8719 (east side)

8/103 Cobham Oak Cottages 22.1.86 (formerly listed as Cobhams Oak Cottage)

GV II*

House, now 3 cottages. C13, C16 and C18, under alteration at time of survey, June 1986. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. The main range of 4 bays facing SW comprises the service end of an aisled hall, 1250-1300, altered and extended to the right in the C16. Late C16 axial stack in second bay from left, C18/19 internal stack at left end. 2-bay crosswing to right, with early.C17 internal stack at the junction. Lean-to extensions of various dates, C19 and C20, along full length of rear and at right end. Main range of one storey with attics, crosswing of 2 storeys. 2 early C19 3-light casements with diamond leading, and one of 2 and one of 3 lights in lean-to dormers. 2 plain boarded doors. Other windows and doors under alteration at time of survey. The main range has a gambrel roof. The earliest phase of this building, 1250-1300, comprises a transverse frame one bay from the left end, with 2 arcade posts, tiebeam and passing braces. The rear arcade post is chamfered to a half-octagonal section, with a moulded capital, and square section above, partly concealed in brickwork, with a double-pegged mortice for an aisle tie and single-pegged rising mortices for arcade braces. The front arcade post is similar; both are unjowled. The tiebeam is straight (a short section in the middle missing) with matrices for 2 lap joints, and trenched for 2 passing braces. These are complete, crossing at the apex and secured to the arcade posts with open notched lap joints of archaic profile, heavily smoke-blackened. The front arcade plate is present for almost 2 bays, from the left end, with matrices for lap-jointed braces. A short section of the rear arcade plate remains, with a simple edge-halved scarf to a C16 extension to the left. A late C16 stack has been inserted between the arcade posts, a C20 grate facing to the right. Posts at the sides indicate that this may have been a timber framed chimney originally, later bricked in. This building has been converted to an unaisled hall house in the C16, with a plain doorway in the rear of the left bay, and one of the existing front doors on the same line, forming a cross-entry behind the stack. The hall/parlour partition is well constructed of re-used timber, with a plain doorway through, trenched braces terminating on the studs, bench fixings, and a C17 inserted doorway above the tiebeam. Diamond mortices for an unglazed window"in the rear wall of the parlour. Floors supported on pegged clamps throughout; in the parlour comprising joists of square section arranged longitudinally, chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, late C16; in the hall,longitudinal plain joists of various sections; in the left bay, plain axial beam and plain joists of narrow section, C18/19. Gambrel roof, C18/19. The crosswing and the stack to left of it are contemporary, early C17. The stack has 2 large wood-burning hearths with jambs of 0.33 metre brickwork. The crosswing has one unjowled and 3 jowled posts, short primary bracing, and a clasped purlin roof with thin curved wind bracing. The central right post has an elaborately carved bracket, in the solid, supporting an ovolo-moulded bridging beam with ornamental stops. The joists are of vertical section, jointed with soffit tenons and extended haunches (C.A. Hewett, English Historic Carpentry, 1980, figure 307). There are no wattle fixings in the crosswing, indicating that it was lathed and plastered from the outset. Inserted attic floor, with chamfered transverse beam with lamb's tongue stops. Possibly RCHM 26.

Listing NGR: TL8720619596

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116424

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A , English Historic Carpentry, (1980)

End of official listing