JENKIN'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123903

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: JENKIN'S FARMHOUSE, KING'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of JENKIN'S FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123903 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 21:55:20.

Location

Statutory Address: JENKIN'S FARMHOUSE, KING'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Stisted

National Grid Reference: TL 78635 23917

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 72 SE STISTED KING'S LANE (east side)

4/269 Jenkin's Farmhouse

- II

House. Late C14, altered in C16, C18 and C19, restored from c.1970. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 2-bay hall facing W, and 2 bays remaining of an originally 3-bay parlour/solar crosswing to right with C18 internal stack. Early C16 3-bay crosswing to left, replacing original service bay, with 2 external stacks to left. C18 range to rear of hall and right crosswing (parallel with hall) with internal stack near middle. Late C16 porch in front of left end of hall. 2 storeys, cellar and attic. Ground floor, one C19 sash of 4 lights, 2 C20 casements. First floor, 4 C20 lights. Left gable, 2 C20 lights. C20 double doors at front of gabled porch. Jowled posts, heavy studding. The hall has a blocked original doorway with hollow-moulded 4-centred head at the right end of the rear wall, and a high inserted floor comprising an axial beam and exposed joists of horizontal section supported on pegged clamps, all chamfered with step stops. Early C19 straight stair with wreathed mahogany handrail and stick balusters. On the first floor the studs of the right end are heavily smoke-blackened, and the wattle and daub infill survives complete, with an original round squint, a rare or unique feature. The framing of the front wall has been covered by C20 oak firrings to the same pattern. The walls have been raised and the roof rebuilt in the C18. The right crosswing has an underbuilt jetty with wide plain brackets preserved in the thickness of the wall, a studded partition at the rear, originally internal; the rear bay has been rebuilt in the C18/19. The central tiebeam is missing; the jowled posts for it have offset tenons, as illustrated in C.A. Hewett, English Historic Carpentry, 1980, figure 281. C18/early C19 panelled window splays. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in wallplate. On the upper left wall paintings of the early C17 have survived, now covered by removable paint. The left crosswing has a jetty at the front, chamfered and stopped axial and transverse beams, chamfered and stopped joists of horizontal section arranged longitudinally in the front bay, transversely in the other 2 bays, with an early inserted stair trap at the left side of the rear bay. The stops are of step type, cut back diagonally at the corners. The floor jointing is of soffit tenons with diminished haunches. The letters IP in C17 style are branded into a right wallpost. Grooves for sliding shutters. Crownpost roof with curved axial braces 25mm thick. Edge-halved and bridled scarfs in wallplates and collar- purlin. Chamfered square crownpost. On the left upper wall are floral paintings, early C17, partly restored. Serpentine wall bracing trenched into studs. In the cellar is a finely made ladder stair of oak, whose dimensions suggest that it was originally the access to the upper storey of the right crosswing, and therefore of late C14 date, a rare survival. The porch, although now of one storey, is the surviving part of a former 2-storey structure, jettied on 3 sides, the dragon beams chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, the common joists missing. The room over the porch was entered from the upper room of the left crosswing. The side walls retain symmetrically turned balusters. The timber structure of the whole house has been comprehensively restored, 1970-86, with new oak and craftsmanship of high quality, by the owner, R.D. Nixon; in some places the original frame is covered by duplicate firrings. The farm is recorded in a rent roll of 1483 (Essex Record Office D/DB, M.177), a survey of 1564 (D/DQ 28/1), the will of William Baisey, 1772, and a sale catalogue of the Stisted Hall estate, 1893, at which time it comprised 234 acres. RCHM 17.

Listing NGR: TL7865323950

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116286

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A , English Historic Carpentry, (1980), 281

End of official listing