STOCK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1123910
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
STOCK HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of STOCK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123910 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 17:44:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
STOCK HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Epping Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Matching
National Grid Reference:
TL 54120 11306

Details

MATCHING 22/2/52 Stock Hall

173/3/79

GV II

Manor house, mid-C16, extended in C16, C17, C18 and C20. Timber-framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall block of 2 storeys with attic, aligned approx. E-W, aspect S, one 2-storey crosswing to W, originally jettied at front, now underbuilt, with original double chimney stack at the junction. E crosswing re-built in 2001. Square stair tower in rear angle, late C16. External chimney stack at rear of crosswing, C16. 3 rear extensions of 2 storeys forming a distinctive N elevation of 3 joined gables, early C17 [now 4 gables, with 2001 crosswing]. Single storey service wing to NW, C18, and C20 lean-to extension beyond. C20 single storey extension in NE angle. Lean-to extension to W of crosswing, C20. Boarded door, 2 casement windows on ground floor, 3 on first floor, all C20. Lightly combed chevron design in plaster. One original scalloped bargeboard on W side of S gable, other C19. INTERIOR: Some framing exposed internally. Original floor of hall block consists of transverse beam, axial beam, and transverse joists, all plain chamfered with step stops {7 joists on N side are C20 replacements). Fireplace has depressed 4-centred arch and chamfered jambs of brickwork, originally plastered, now exposed, and cast iron fireback representing General Fairfax, dated 1649. Hall roof is of crown post construction, the central crown post plain and of oblong section. No braces to it are present, but mortices indicate that originally it had 2 arched braces to collar purlin and one side brace only, down to the tiebeam. All the collars are present, jointed to the rafters with bare-faced lap dovetails. Immediately above each there is an empty matrix in the rafter for a similar joint. The roof of the crosswing is of clasped purlin construction with curved wind braces, original and contemporary with the hall roof. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in E wallplate. The roof is not smoke-blackened, except for a section of 4 rafters to the N of the W crosswing that may identify the presence of a smoke bay. Some original wattle and daub in N gable, with original lime plaster on both sides, flush with the studs. On ground floor of stair tower, N window of 2 lights with ovolo mullion in situ, rebated for leaded glass on the outside, weathered although now enclosed by later extension. In ground floor of hall some original oak panelling, some C20 reproduction. In ground floor of W crosswing, cut linenfold bressumer. Construction of E crosswing in 2001 exposed wall painting at first floor wall facing E to what was originally the solar. Between demolition .of that wing sometime pre-C18 and reconstruction in 2001,the painting was on an external wall. Surviving painting comprises floral motifs and vine scroll in red, blue and yellow on limewash applied to the render between the studs and curved braces. SUBSIDIARY: The house sits within a double moat system thought to date from the C12 or earlier. Farm buildings to the E are not of comparable age. RCHM 10.

Listing NGR: TL5412011306

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
118133
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06897/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stewart Monk. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].