This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1123914

Location

THE OLD HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Matching

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118139

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 51 SW MATCHING CARTER'S GREEN SW 3/90 The Old House

GV II

Late medieval house, altered in C16 and C17, extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays aligned NE-SW. Inserted chimney stack in middle bay, c.1600. Lean-to extension with chimney stack to SE, C20. Extension to NE, 1970. 2 storeys, NW elevation, tiled gabled porch, 3 casement windows. 4 casement windows on first floor, all C20. Diagonal shafts on main chimney stack, to NW of ridge. Some framing exposed internally. Jowled wallposts, heavy studding with external bracing. Originally of one storey only. Floor inserted in early C17, chamfered axial beams, joists chamfered in SW bay only, lamb's tongue stops. Walls raised by approximately 1 metre in C17, chamfered axial beams above upper rooms, w:ith lamb's tongue stops. RCHM 15.

Listing NGR: TL5107210728

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

National Grid Reference: TL 51072 10728

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123914 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 10:00:38.

End of official listing