GAYNES PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1123952

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: GAYNES PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of GAYNES PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123952 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 06:08:13.

Location

Statutory Address: GAYNES PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Theydon Garnon

National Grid Reference: TL 48448 01780

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 40 SE THEYDON GARNON GAYNES PARK 3/341 "Gaynes Park"

GV II*

A very large, late C19 house, incorporating remains of late C18 and early C19 houses. Grey stone faced, red brick built. Grey slate roof. Asymetrical plan. Mainly 3 storeys. Crosswing to left, adjoined to right by 2 storey porch to right of which are 4 bays with two feature gables. All gables and crosswings with stone coping, finials and balls. There are stone diamond pierced railed parapets, 4 large gargoyles and various banding. Top floor 3 window range of 3 light crossed transomes. Ground and first floor with 1:1:4 range of 5 light crossed transomes. Tudor arch with moulded spandrels to porch with diamond rail parapet over. Both return faces are stone faced, but with different features. The left return with a grand porch and door. The rear of C18 red brick with several windows from the earlier house. Internally are many good, late C19 features, including a grand entrance hall, with a central staircase leading to the gallery with 6 Ionic columns and half round centre bay. A good, second staircase with twisted balusters. Coloured tiled floors, panelled doors, waincots and dados. A fully panelled dining room, with matching fire surround and portrait spaces. The Library, though at present bereft of books is otherwise complete. There are book shelves to three sides of the room with a walkway gallery at half height. Original ladders in situ. Each book shelf division, with a vertical panel of hand carved fruit and flowers and horizontal edges with leaf carvings. Room approx. 50 x 30. There is an C18 bell on wrought iron brackets at rear of House, and an original bell pull to rear door. The property was originally part of a Medieval Deer Park and was known at Gaines with the House south of present House, and as Park Hall C18 and C19. Queen Elizabeth held a Council here when it was the home of Sir William Fitzwilliam. Latterly owned by the Earls of Anglesey. Demolished 1740, rebuilt on present site by 1777. Acquired by the Chisenhale-Marsh family in 1792, who altered it, in grey brick before 1818, with Venetian windows. (Some of these windows remain at rear and in outbuilding). Some additions and alterations by Thos. Coxhead Chisenhale- Marsh circa 1870. Until quite recently the gardens were considered among the best in Essex.

Listing NGR: TL4844801780

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118030

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing