FORMER ST ANTHONYS FRANCISCAN PREPARATORY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1125371

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Oct-1976

Statutory Address: FORMER ST ANTHONYS FRANCISCAN PREPARATORY SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER ST ANTHONYS FRANCISCAN PREPARATORY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125371 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 23:29:47.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER ST ANTHONYS FRANCISCAN PREPARATORY SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stony Stratford

National Grid Reference: SP 78522 40711

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5135 HIGH STREET (North East Side) Stony Stratford ------------------ Former St Anthony's Franciscan Preparatory School [Part was previously listed 12.10.54. as Mr Fegan's Homes] SP 7840 1/93

II GV

2. Consists of a large chapel with wings extending from transepts. The south-east transept wing meets a range at right angles to the street front of 4 houses and forms a quadrangle. Founded as St Paul's School in 1863 and enlarged since. From 1900 it became one of 'Mr Fegan's Homes' for Orphans and was latterly a Franciscan Preparatory school. Chapel: attributed to Goldie and Child [George Goldie] by Persuer circa 1860-70. large abbatial-type church with uninterrupted tiled roof. Rock faced rubble with brick quoins, dressings and modillion cornice. 4 bay nave with buttresses, transepts and apsed chancel. Low narthex to south-vest. Pointed windows. Main emphasis to south-west where a string course is stepped up and pointed to form a label over a large rose containing smaller circles. The apse is unlit, decorated with blind brick arcading in 2 series below the eaves, and 5 buttresses. The interior is aisless with a barrel vault on corbelled corinthian columns. The rest of the buildings are also tiled, and, except for the street front, of rock faced rubble with brick dressings. Gate Tower: to right of chapel. 3 storeys. Crow stepped gable above giant pointed arch containing the entrance, a 3 light oriel on the 1st floor, and 2 pointed windows on the 2nd floor. Turret: to right of gate tower projects from building. Octagonal with belfry stage and steeple. Statue of St Anthony over double doors to right. Other buildings in the Quadrangle and to north-west of Chapel are of 2 storeys with attics. Half hipped dormers to quadrangle, and having bargeboards and finials to north-west. Mainly pointed windows, some cusped in the quad, mostly joined under relieving arches. North-west wing of 7 bays separated by butresses. North-east corner has a stair turret with belfry stage and pointed roof. Street front: circa 1860s-80s incorporating earlier buildings. 4 three storey houses, the end house to south-east to be described separately. High pitched tiled roofs, with banded colours on house to north-west. Moulded cornice. Irregular ashlar fronts, brick chimney stack. Moulded kneeler to verge at north-west end. 2 gabled dormers on house at north-west end, and 3 on house to south-east 4+2+3 windows, 2 light sashes except for 3 light windows on ground and 1st floors to house to left of south-east end house. Windows set in moulded reveals and have stone mullions and keyed heads. House to north-west has triangular light and the next house a pointed arched light above doors. No door to 3rd house from north-west. The dated sundial mentioned in the previous list now gone. Adjacent to house at north-west end is an arched entrance of 2 orders with a panel above. The end house to the south-east has been recently reduced by 1 window and rendered with incised coursing. Low pitched slate roof. 2 windows, glazing bar sashes. Triangular light over door. Brick built at rear.

The former St Anthony's Franciscan Preparatory School and the low street wall in front form a separate group.

Listing NGR: SP7852240711

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 45542

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing