This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OUSE BANK HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OUSE BANK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1125442

Location

OUSE BANK HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Milton Keynes

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Newport Pagnell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Jun-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Feb-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 45326

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWPORT PAGNELL 1446 HIGH STREET 15-JUN-1971 (East Side) Ouse Bank House 645/1/4 (Formerly listed as Ousebank Street County Council Branch Offices)

(Formerly listed as Ousebank Street Ouse Bank)

(Formerly listed as Brooklands, High Street)

(Formerly listed as Ousebank Street County Branch library)

II

Alternatively known as: BROOKLANDS, OUSEBANK STREET. House. Circa 1689; mid-late C 19 extension; C20 extensions and alterations. Red brick with blue headers in Flemish bond; plain tile roof; brick stacks. Two storeys, built in two sections, the earlier a four-window bay at the S, between giant brick pilasters with moulded brick capitals and dentilled cornice. Parapet rebuilt. The entrance is at the left, a handsome eared doorcase with moulded canopy on cut modillion brackets, and a six-fielded and panelled door with a five-lobed fanlight in a rectangular opening over, egg and dart moulded archivolt and trefoils in the spandrels. Twelve-paned sashes set with the boxes near the face of the brickwork, and having heavy glazing bars and original crown glass. Openings have rubbed thirteen-in brick flat arches and moulded sills (replaced on the ground floor). Central lead hopper and down pipe. Behind the parapet, two flat-roofed dormer windows. On the S gable end a large brick stack, its base rendered, and rising as three close-spaced square stacks. Superimposed on the right two bays a square bay window of c.1940 with soldier-coped parapet and a flat roof. large twenty-pane sash window. The building was extended to the N by three bays in the mid-late C 19, using more pronounced blue headers, but the detail otherwise identical. Blocked cellar openings. The return elevation on the N has three round- headed openings on the ground floor, the centre a doorway, and external chimneybreast over with curved shoulders to the stack. Two lead hoppers. The rear elevation has large nine-pane sash windows with slender glazing bars to the upper floors, three-pane to the attic level. The rear elevation returns by one bay at the S side meeting a later build. Interior: Altered on the ground floor. The first floor room at the N end of the C17 section is fully panelled with bolection moulded panelling, a handsome moulded cornice, chair rail, a bolection moulded fireplace with an overmantle landscape oil painting on canvas, now largely concealed. The steward's office has a lesser-moulded cornice, but a good moulded doorcase with swept pediment. The large ground floor room in the later section has a lateral fireplace with moulded surround and mirrored overmantle Cornice. History: described as a 'capital; mansion house' when built, it came by conveyance of 1756 to Roger Chapman and his wife who was then bought out by Walter Beaty, Congregationalist and promoter of the lace industry, who died in 1791. Following the Second World War it functioned as a County Branch Library until the new building was built in the 1960's. Mynard D and Hunt J, A Pictorial History of Newport Pagnell, 1995, fig 117; Pevsner N and Williamson E, Buckinghamshire, Buildings of England Series, Second edition, 1994, p 578; Information provided by Mr D Mynard.





Listing NGR: SP8779244036

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mynard, D, Hunt, , A Pictorial History of Newport Pagnell, (1995)
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, (1994), 578

National Grid Reference: SP 87792 44036

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125442 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 07:05:40.

End of official listing