STABLE BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1126375
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Jan-1984
Statutory Address:
STABLE BLOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126375 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 06:00:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
STABLE BLOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Chippenham
National Grid Reference:
TL 66479 69438

Details

TL 66 NE CHIPPENHAM CHIPPENHAM PARK

6/64 Stable Block 1.12.51 (formerly listed as Stabling and Barn at Chippenham Park) GV II*

Stable block, late C17, built by Edward Russell (b.1653-d.1727) later Lord Orford. Small local red/brown bricks with lighter red bricks in jambs of openings and quoins, and light red gauged bricks to window and door arches and band at first floor and attic floors. Steeply pitched, hipped roofs with C19 slate. Symmetrical plan, carriage way through central block of two storeys with clock tower flanked by two wings of seven 'bays' each terminated by blocks of one storey with attics and two 'bays'. Central block has coach house on either side of arch, four sixteen-paned hung sash windows with original muff glass at first floor and triangular pediment with two round windows each with original leaded lights. Wooden, lead lined clock tower, square plan with clock face in each elevation surmounted on an open arched bell canopy with deeply moulded cornice and ogee-shaped leaded roof with weather vane. Three bells chime the hour. The clock, housed on the attic floor is dated '1793 Fra Perigal, Bond Street, London' and replaces earlier clock. Fenestration of wings and end blocks altered in C19 when stables were converted to offices and workshops. Each wing has three gabled dormer windows and casement windows in reduced original openings. Blind windows with round windows survive in end blocks. Lead water cistern to left hand dated 1769, carved brick dated 1767. Attached barn to east C19 re-using C17 brick in its construction with C19 brick lacing courses; roof of six bays plain tiled and hipped; wall to north earlier, possibly C17. The house was visited by Ceilia Fiennes in 1698 and the clock tower is graphically described in her journal.

Estate Map of Lord Orfords Estate 1712, C.R.O. Barber R W. History of Chippenham, pp.25-30, 1897 Morris C. The Illustrated Journeys of Ceilia Fiennes, p.140-1, 1982 Pevsner. Buildings in England, p.322 O.S. Maps, 1885, 1903

Listing NGR: TL6647969438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
48989
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barber, RW, History of Chippenham, (1897), 25-30
Morris, C, The Illustrated Journeys of Ceilia Fiennes, (1982), 140-141
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 322
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].