This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

67 AND 68, PALL MALL SW1

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 67 AND 68, PALL MALL SW1

List entry Number: 1126570

Location

67 AND 68, PALL MALL SW1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422685

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2980 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER PALL MALL SW1 81/53 (South side) 5.2.70 Nos 67 and 68 GV II Office building. 1928-30 by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Portland stone, slate roof. Free classical design. 3 exposed elevations. 5 storeys plus 2 storey attic with pedimented gable ends. 4 bays. Tall ground floor with Doric order and 2 columns in antis to street front and west return. Close set range of 1st floor cum mezzanine windows. Architraved windows eared with segmental heads and segmental sills set in banded shallow rustication of 2nd floor. Plainly pierced windows with keys rising to plat bands on 3rd and 4th floors. Plain coved cornice with iron balustrade and attic storeys with plain windows alternating with through storey semi-circular arched windows. Moulded eaves cornice returned as base to pediments of gable ends. The pediment gabled attic storeys are effectively read as a roof pavilion. Survey of London; vol XXIX Lutyens Exhibition Cataloque; 1982

Listing NGR: TQ2939980136

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St James Westminster Part 1 South of Piccadilly: Volumes 29 and 30, , Vol. 29, (1960)
'Arts Council of Great Britain Catalogue' in The Work of the English Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens 1889-1944, (1981)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29396 80142

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126570 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 01:59:47.

End of official listing