This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1126633

Location

OLD TOWN HALL, 2, NORTH BRINK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48336

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH TF 4509 TF 4609 5/138 6/138

NORTH BRINK No. 2 (Old Town Hall)

GV II

Town Hall built originally as the Exchange Hall in 1811 by Joseph Medworth (1752-1827) with open, arcaded ground floor. Archways infilled in 1831, and after 1836 became the Town Hall. The Corn Exchange to rear was built in 1857, architect Bellamy. Street facade altered in 1856. Local brick with limestone. Two storeys; five 'bays', three central 'bays' slightly project. Parapet with panels of half balusters, central pediment with cross-keys in relief. Deep modillioned cornice. Rusticated quoins at first floor, and rusticated ground floor, Ionic pilasters divide 'bays' at first floor; five, four-paned hung sash windows in moulded, flat arched limestone cases and cills. Recessed in original arcade are two very fine double, cast-iron doors with pierced decorated panels shaped to round arches and three hung sash windows with hinges for shutters. Mid C19 flanking, two storey wings, recessed, with entrance to Council Chamber at first floor to left hand, and arch to carriageway at right hand. Interior, and council chamber has good mid C19 details. Colvin, p.386, 1951. VCH Cambs, p.242. Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.500. Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.428, 1849. A. Peckover, watercolour, c.1853, W. & F. Mus. Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus.

Listing NGR: TF4598909686

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF4598909686

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126633 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 03:34:01.

End of official listing