7 AND 8, THE CRESCENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126671

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: 7 AND 8, THE CRESCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7 AND 8, THE CRESCENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 11:23:31.

Location

Statutory Address: 7 AND 8, THE CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF 46171 09536

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following previous listing date shall be added.

Page 16 Item number 6/31 10.2.69

------------------------------------

WISBECH THE CRESCENT TF 4609 6/31 Nos. 7 and 8 GV II

Pair of houses with common facade dated 1808 on key stone of rear arch to carriageway, linking two terraces built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827), as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate. Local brown brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Three storeys and basements; seven 'bays'. Symmetrical facade, central three 'bays' slightly project with triangular pediment and dentil enrichment to stone cornice. Parapet with blind balustraded panels. Rusticated stone quoins and jambs to carriageway. Stone bands at first and second floor and plinth band. Central round headed blind arch through first and second floor with stone panel and doorcase to balcony window with Ionic pilasters and open segmental pediment. Patterned iron balcony railings. Small, nine-paned hung sash window in segmental arch above. Six, second floor nine-paned hung sash windows in recessed segmental brick arches; four, twelve-paned first floor windows, and two balcony windows with recessed segmental arches. Two, matching entrances to left and right hand in double recessed round headed brick arches with patterned glazing bars to fanlights and six-fielded-panelled doors. Two round headed hung sash windows in similar aches, and two windows with stone arches flank carriageway. Good original interior details to No. 7, open-string staircase, six-panelled doors, panelled window shutters and lower doors to balcony windows. Plastered friezes and cornices; original chimney pieces. Two small bay windows segmental in plan with patterned, tented roofs and balcony railings in rear elevation. No. 8 has an original open-string staircase with modern casing protecting balusters, good chimneypiece and panelled lower balcony doors. Six-panelled door with applied relief panels. NMR (C. Godfrey, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982. Colvin, p.386, 1954. VCH Cambs, p.242. G. Annis, A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977. Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278, 1849. Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.

Listing NGR: TF4617109536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48229

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Annis, G, A History of Wisbech Castle, (1977)
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 386
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849), 278
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)

End of official listing