9, THE CRESCENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126673

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: 9, THE CRESCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of 9, THE CRESCENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126673 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 10:30:58.

Location

Statutory Address: 9, THE CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF 46156 09548

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH THE CRESCENT TF 4609 6/33 No. 9 GV II

Terrace house built c.1797 in two terraces linked by pair of houses sharing common pedimented facade dated 1808 and the Weslyan Chapel, 1803 built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827), as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate. Local brown brick, slate roof and side stack. Three storeys and basement with irregular window pattern to street facade. Stone coped parapet with painted stone band at first and second floor. One sixteen-paned, first floor, and one, twelve-paned recessed hung sash window at second floor in cambered gauged red brick arches with stone cills. Late C19 ground floor, three-light hung sash window with stone cornice supported on console brackets. Six- panelled door with plain fanlight in recessed, round-headed, gauged red brick arch, approached by two stone steps. Interior has an open string staircase, two arches, one with reeded half-columns. NMR (C. Godfrey photographic collection of Wisbech) 1982. Colvin, p.386, 1954. VCH Cambs, p.242. G. Annis, A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977. Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278, 1849. Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.

Listing NGR: TF4615609548

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48232

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Annis, G, A History of Wisbech Castle, (1977)
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 386
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849), 278
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)

End of official listing