CHURCH OF ST KYNEBURGHA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1126803
Date first listed:
15-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KYNEBURGHA, PETERBOROUGH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126803.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:28:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KYNEBURGHA, PETERBOROUGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Castor
National Grid Reference:
TL 12468 98530

Details

1. 5141 CASTOR PETERBOROUGH ROAD (north side) Church of St Kyneburgha TL 1298 50/166 15.12.55 GV 2. Dedication, unique in England to Kyneburga daughter of Penda, King of Mercia and founder of Peterborough Abbey, who came to Castor circa 650, and founded a nunnery, traces of which are said to remain in the church. However it is primarily a Norman church with a very important Norman crossing tower, and Norman north and south transpets, nave and chancel. The nave has Perpendicular clerestorey and Norman west window with shafts and below, a curvilinear traceried 3-light window. Norman south doorway possibly reset. Decorated north aisle has 5-light square-headed windows. C13 south aisle has 4-centred arch window and articulated tracery window and lancets in west ends of north and south aisles. Norman south transept with late C13 aisle on east side with Y-traceried windows and south window with geometric tracery. Norman north transept has Y-traceried window in place of Norman window, the left hand jamb and half of arch of which remains. Norman chancel with tympanum-shaped stone above a niche with inscription recording consecration date 1124, above Norman south door. Perpendicular south window, north lancets and Perpendicular 5-light east window. C15 south porch with Norman/Saxon tympanum in gable with figure of Christ. Extremely fine Norman crossing tower in 4 stages divided by corbel tables. Plain first stage, second stage has large 2-light windows with billet surrounds and flanking 2-light arcading, above the arches tile-pattern ashlar, the top bell stage has fine sub-divided arches the outside ones blind, above the arches fish-scale ashlaring. Above the top corbel table a C14 parapet and short broach spire with lucarnes. Interior: the crossing arches have roll mouldings and demi-shafts, and capitals have interlace decoration with leaves, birds and beasts etc and later ribbed vault. Three bay north and south arcades, north arcade is Decorated and has octagonal piers with circular capitals and double-chamfered pointed arches. The south arcade has round piers and capitals with double chamfered round arches. Moulded C15 nave roof with cambered tie-beams. C15 porch roof. C14 south door with inscription in the border "RICHARDUS BEBY RECTOR ECCLECIE DE CASTRE FE(CIT)". C14 wall paintings in north aisle. C14 octagonal font, with modern stem. Small Saxon sculpture in chancel. Base of Saxon cross in north aisle with interlace decoration and dragons, probably originally a Roman altar. Recumbent effigy in chancel is said to be of Virgilius, Rector 1228. RCHM (1) VCH Northants Vol II.

Listing NGR: TL1246898530

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
49958
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, , Peterborough New Town: a survey of antiquities..., (1969)
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06544/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JM Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].