This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

KENNELS AND ENCLOSURE WALL ADJOINING SOUTH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KENNELS AND ENCLOSURE WALL ADJOINING SOUTH

List entry Number: 1126839

Location

KENNELS AND ENCLOSURE WALL ADJOINING SOUTH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Peterborough

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Castor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49944

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 CASTOR MILTON PARK 15.12.55 Kennels - and enclosure wall adjoining south TL 19 NE 18/150 II GV 2. Probably built in 1767 when the Fitzwilliam Hunt was began. Shown as already existing on Repton's plans on 1791. Range of buildings approximately U-shaped on plan, coursed stone with Welsh slate and Collyweston stone roofs. The west front is treated as a sham mediaeval ruin and has 2 large flanking round towers, the left hand one has embattled parapet, the right hand one is shorter and has conical roof with weather vane. Chamfered pointed arch entrance at centre, possibly re-used medieval material, flanked by cross-shaped arrow slits, and a mounting block. Two wings at rear, one with circular corner turret, the other has blind gothic arch. Including enclosure wall adjoining south. Low coursed stone wall with ramped coping and ashlar piers with pedimental caps and wooden railings between. The enclosure is rectangular and there is a simple shelter for the hounds on the inside of the east wall. VCH Northamptonshire Vol II.

Listing NGR: TL1523099507

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 15230 99507

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126839 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:22:44.

End of official listing