106, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127079

Date first listed: 15-Jun-1984

Statutory Address: 106, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 106, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127079 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 18:15:22.

Location

Statutory Address: 106, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bottisham

National Grid Reference: TL 54596 60341

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5460 BOTTISHAM HIGH STREET (South West Side) 11/19 No. 106

II

Farmhouse 1725 (referred to in a building contract of 14 October 1725 between Trustees of St Bartholomews Hospital and William Chapman and William Roberts). In c1875 the facade of this house was obscured by the addition of a new range to the front. Original house of red brick, English bond with a steeply pitched gabled roof, tiled. End stacks. Symmetrical plan of kitchen and parlour flanking a narrower hall and stairbay. Two storeys and attics. The fenestration to the gable ends is later. the front range c1875 is of grey brick with a tiled roof and end stacks. Two storeys. Raised and shouldered surrounds to three hung sashes of four panels each. Central doorway with raised surround and round headed arch. At the rear is a service range, early C18, with a storey added and roof raised. Red brick, English bond. There is a straight joint between this range and the 1725 block. Within the curtilage are four early C19 cast iron boundary posts each with a bell shaped finial and a cartouche with initials ST B.H. One remains in its original location. Inside there is an original closed-string staircase with turned balusters, moulded rail and square newel with finial. In the service range there is a tie beam, probably reused, with mortices for uprights. Building work has confirmed that the openings shown in the elevation to the 1725 building contract are the same as those in the original house. These would have been cross-frame casements. The principal difference between this house and the elevation shown in the drawing attached to the 1725 building contract is that the house was built with a gabled rather than a hipped roof.

Barley M.W: The English Farmhouse and Cottage, plate XXIII R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p9, mon (12)

Listing NGR: TL5459660341

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49292

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barley, M W, The English Farmhouse and Cottage, (1961)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)

End of official listing