PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST PANDIONIA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1127179
Date first listed:
31-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST PANDIONIA, THE GREEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127179.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2020 at 22:53:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST AND ST PANDIONIA, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Eltisley
National Grid Reference:
TL 26841 59664

Details

TL 2659-2759 ELTISLEY THE GREEN (South Side)

11/123 Parish Church of St John the 31.a.62 Baptist and St Pandionia

GV II*

Parish Church. Nave and aisles c.1200 with north chapel added and chancel rebuilt or extended in C13, replaced in white brick c.1840. Clerestorey remodelled and tower and spire added C15. Chancel and north chapel rebuilt c.1840. Restoration 1875-9. Walls of pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings and C19 white brick. Roofs of lead and slate. South elevation: Tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses, plastered to second stage, with embattled parapet. Belfry window with restored Y-tracery. Octagonal spire with crocketed gablets to spire lights. Tower clock, C18, placed in tower in 1893 with weights contained in external wooden box. Nave roof with bell turret and cross finial to parapet gable; three C19 two-light clerestorey windows, two C19 three-light aisle windows. C19 porch; original south doorway with dogtooth ornament and shafted jambs with moulded caps and bases. Chancel of white brick with reset south doorway. Interior: Nave arcades of three bays with some restoration. Two-centred arches of single chamfered order with chamfered labels, circular piers with stiff-leaf and water-leaf carved capitals. C13 chancel arch of two chamfered orders with moulded labels and mask stops. Font, C13 with octagonal bowl and carved C17 pyramidal cover. Tomb recess in north chapel, C14 with moulded and crocketed label stopped with lion and woman's heads, two mutilated C13 figures, a robed figure and knight in chain mail. For other monuments and floor slabs see RCHM.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs., p90, mon. 1 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p337 V.C.H. Vol. V, pp55, 57

Listing NGR: TL2684159664

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
51158
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 337
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973), 57
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02199/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Jenkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].