This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1127273

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50871

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 46NW RAMPTON CHURCH END (North Side)

5/123 Church of 31.8.62 All Saints

II*

Parish Church C12, C14 and C15. C19 and C20 restorations. Puddingstone and limestone rubble with some fieldstone and limestone and clunch dressings. Red brick south porch. Reed thatched roof to nave, slate to South aisle and tiles to chancel. Plan of West tower, nave South aisle, South porch and chancel. West tower is probably C15, but the pointed lancets suggest a possible earlier date. Mostly limestone rubble with dressed limestone to the quoins. Three stages on chamfered plinth, embattled parapet. West window of clunch, repaired with Ketton, hollow moulded two cinquefoil lights in two centred arch. Lancet to each side of second stage. The clunch openings, with cinquefoil heads to each side of bell stage are very badly worn. Beast gargoyle masks to centre of each side of main cornice. In the C14 the South aisle was added to the nave and the North wall was refenestrated. The North wall of the nave is mainly sandstone rubble and probably C12. There is an arch, C12, to a window, now blocked, in this wall. The South aisle, like the rest of the wall material, has been repointed. There are some re-used moulded stones amongst the limestone rubble and fieldstone. The two and three-light windows are of clunch repaired in Ketton. South porch, C18 red brick, with moulded outer arch. Gabled roof, tiled. Inner arch, C16, four centred with vacant niche above, part obscured by porch. Chancel C14, South wall has a later two stage buttress to the chancel arch, part concealing the stop of one of the South wall windows. Two C14 windows of two lights with reticulated tracery. One window has a low side opening square. South doorway in a two centred pointed arch. The East wall has a c.1924 window of five lights, with reticulated tracery. Above it in the gable end are shafts re-used and may date from the original C14 rebuild or may have been incorporated in 1924 when the window was renewed. Interior: The West tower arch is typical perpendicular work with two centred ogee moulded arch on a high base. South arcade in four bays. Two centred double hollow moulded orders the outer with broach stops on octagonal columns, capitals and bases. The roof was rebuilt, probably in C19. The chancel arch is C12 with three attached shafts with scallop capitals, abacus and moulded bases. The arch itself is C14 however. Two centred, double chamfered, with broach stops. There is a double piscina in the South wall of the chancel. Two quatrefoil drains in two centred arch with cinquefoil cusping to head. In the North wall of the chancel, a wall tomb, C14, with running foliate ornament to ogee arch, with effigy of a de L'Isle. The communion rail with its vase shaped balusters is early C18. The pulpit is early C17, six sided with original tester, but the stem and base are C19 - C20. The East wall of the chancel has fragments of pre:Conquest coffin slabs carved with interlace work reset in the wall. The North wall of the nave also has two Saxon tomb slabs, and some wall painting probably of several dates, but the earlier with vine leaf tendrils and a figure of St. Christopher, C15. The font is C12. Limestone, round basin on octagonal stem. R.C.H.M. record card Pevsner. Buildings of England p.451

Listing NGR: TL4285268111

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 451

National Grid Reference: TL 42852 68111

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:45:38.

End of official listing