Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127330

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: GOTHIC HOUSE, 220, HIGH STREET


Ordnance survey map of GOTHIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127330 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 11:17:33.


Statutory Address: GOTHIC HOUSE, 220, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Cottenham

National Grid Reference: TL 45032 67633


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



14/55 No. 220 (Gothic House)


House, probably c.1700 but much altered in early C19 and late in C19 when the facade was remodelled. In the mid C19 the office to the left hand was added. Principal range of local red and yellow brick, English bond, rendered, with wire cut gault brick to C19 parts. The parapet, shaped end parapets and octagonal ridge and end stacks are all later C19. Original c.1700 plan of single range and lobby entry with small kitchen rear range. c.1823 rear addition now forms a T-plan. Two storeys and attic. Two dormers, concealed by parapet. The late C19 elevation is in early C18 style, and framed by rusticated quoins and has a range of five C19 hung sashes of twelve panes each with pediments over. The pediments are carried on scroll console brackets and the window surrounds are raised and moulded. The centre window above the doorway is smaller and has a swan's neck pedmient. The doorway is in its original location opposite the stack but has a C19 shell hood on brackets carved with acanthus. The door is C19 or C20. Adjoining to the left hand is a mid C19 gault brick office addition with stepped parapet to the ends and side. Entry in side wall in raised surround to round headed doorway. A further addition, at the rear, has the initials and date RS1823I. Gault brick, wire cut, with gabled roof. Two storeys. In the garden forming part of a wall are fragments of medieval stone, possibly C13 and possibly from the church which was rebuilt in C15. Interior: Probably in the late C18 a passage was inserted running the length of the rear of the house. At the same time a new staircase was built with one flight leading from this passageway and another from the hall and meeting at a landing. The staircase is open-string with square newels, panelled, with moulded rails and two slender balusters to each tread. Each baluster is part barley-sugar twists and part diminishing column. Part of the earlier balustrade of c.1700 remains in the vase shaped balusters leading to the attic. In an attic, reset against the chimney breast is a bolection moulded fireplace surround, marbled, and possibly original to the house. There is an inglenook fireplace in the rear wing. The office retains the original gas point and tray holder used for sealing documents. The house is shown in an engraving which appeared in the Illustrated London News of 13th April, 1850, following a fire at Cottenham. The Court Rolls of the Manor of Harleston, Cottenham, refer to a new message on the site in 1744, 1770 and alterations in 1823. J.R. Ravensdale. Liable to Floods.

Listing NGR: TL4503267633


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50797

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Ravensdale, J R, Liable to Flood, (1974)

End of official listing