THE CONSERVATORS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127370

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: THE CONSERVATORS HOUSE, CLAYHITHE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CONSERVATORS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 23:20:24.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CONSERVATORS HOUSE, CLAYHITHE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Horningsea

National Grid Reference: TL 50222 64433

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 56 SW HORNINGSEA CLAYHITHE ROAD (North Side)

8/62 The Conservators House

II

Toll-house, dated 1842 on stone plaque in north gable. Gault brick with limestone dressings. Plain tile roof with patterned ridge tiles. Two storeys with cellars; T-plan gabled wing to west of main facade facing north. Tudor style. Shaped gables with apex finials. Two large ridge stacks with recessed round arched panels and stone cornice. Three first floor two- and three-light mullioned and transomed casement windows. Two similar three-light windows at ground floor extended in wing to height of plinth. Plain, double pilastered stone architrave with recessed four-panelled door and patterned round headed arched fanlight to north. Interior. Committee room, over barrel-vaulted cellars, used by the Conservators of the river Cam who were appointed following the act of 1702 'for making the River Cham ..... more navigable from Clay-Hithe-Ferry, to the Queen's Mill .....'. R.C.H.M.: East Cambs p. 69, mon. 2. Clay, W.K. Parish of Horningsey. C.A.S. Pub. 1865 p.22 Reprint of Act, 1702. C.R.O.

Listing NGR: TL5022264433

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50610

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society' in Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, (1865), 22
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)

End of official listing