- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- BURGHLEY HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127501.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 05:43:39.
- Statutory Address:
- BURGHLEY HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)
- St. Martin's Without
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 04778 06074
5141 ST MARTINS WITHOUT BURGHLEY PARK
(formerly listed under
the Civil Parish of
TF 00 NW 1/511 16.1.56 Barnack)
On the common boundary of the Parishes of Barnack and St Martins Without and
previously listed on 16 January 1956 under the Parish of Barnack only. Circa
1555 to circa 1587. One of the largest of the Elizabethan mansions. An earlier
house on the site with remains of St Michaels Priory, incorporated in the
present house, came into the possession of Richard Cecil between 1508 and
1528. Richard Cecil's son William Cecil Lord Burghley built the mansion.
Built of Barnack stone. The hall with double hammer beam roof and the vaulted
kitchen are the earliest parts and form the east side. The rest of the house
is built around the other 3 sides of a rectangular courtyard. Three storeys,
at the corners 3 storey and attic square towers with octagonal turrets with
ogee cupolas. West front dated 1577 is 1:3:3:3:1 bays with projecting bay
windows in the recesses between the angle towers and the central 4 storey
entrance tower which has 4 octagonal corner turrets with ogee cupolas and
a 3 storeyed canted bay window above a round arch bay with fine wrought iron
gates by Jean Tijou. Openwork cresting over the parapet. The south side
altered by Capability Brown circa 1763-5, 3 storeys, the top storey has blind
windows, 12 bays the ground floor has 9 bay arcade and a C17 segmental pediment
over the central entrance. The north front dated 1586 has projecting canted
feature with ground floor loggia with semi-circular bay at centre and quater-circle
bays in the angles, and with crestings and obelisks. Low projecting wing
on the left (northeast) with end tower with octagonal top stage with ogee
cap, the corresponding right hand wing having been demolished in C18. Semi-circular
forecourt to the north side with fine wrought iron railings and gated.
East side of the courtyard has large central tower in 4 stages, the ground
and first stage have large coffered arches. A splayed bay above, each
storey flanked by pilastered niches, with superimposed arches. Above is
a square clock tower dated 1585 supported by lions and with obelisks at the
corners, and surmounted by a huge obelisk spire. The central features of
the north and south sides of the courtyard have tall niches above a 3 bay
arcaded ground floor with Tuscan columns. The west side of the courtyard
has octagonal turrets in the angles and taller ones above the centrepiece
which has a narrow bowed window over the doorway flanked by Tuscan columns.
The courtyard was altered in 1830s by Gandy-Deering.
The skyline is dominated by turrets, numerous column chimney shafts and the
spire over the clock turret.
Interior: Great hall has a double hammer beam roof, a classical fireplace
of slightly later date ; bookcases from Belgium inserted circa 1830. Vaulted
kitchen of circa 1556 north of hall. Chapel altered in 1830 but retains altar
piece by Veronese and wood carving by Grinling Gibbons. 'Roman' staircase
with coffered stone vault.
During the 1680s and 1690s much of the interior was redecorated and the south
front was altered. Ballroom decorated by Laguerre in 1689. Much carving
by Grinling Gibbons including very fine overmantel in Marble Hall. State
rooms with painting by Verria and a chimney piece by Piranesi, stucco ceilings
by Edward Martin 1680-2, or possibly by Robert Adam or Thomas Lumby. Grand
staircase of 1782, Gothic billiard room, north dining room and library ceilings
of circa 1756 and other work by Capability Brown about 1756 including landscaping
of the park and outbuildings. Country Life vol 114 3/12/53-31/12/53 add vol.
VCR Northants Vol II.
Listing NGR: TF0477806074
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906)
'Country Life' in 16 October, , Vol. 158, (1975)
'Country Life' in 3 December, , Vol. 114, (1953)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing